Food grade DE, where in the world???

youngjedi32002

Songster
8 Years
May 2, 2011
East Coast
I am here in Massachusetts, the Boston area, and I cannot find food grade DE anywhere! Anyone have any ideas where I can find this? I was told to go to a pool supply store and my husband did and picked up a huge bag. I am really glad I looked closely because it has silica in it and has cautions to "not breathe it in"! Glad I looked!!! I asked at Agway and the guy said he didn't know what I was talking about, he just used regular mulch for his chickens dirt bath and they were fine. I'm just at a loss.......

I got a huge bag (40lbs, I think) of DE at our local Landmark store. Be sure it is Food Grade. Believe it or not, it was the cheapest there - nothing there is usually cheap. All the feeds are high-priced. The store is for yuppies, I guess, not real farmers. Glad to find the DE though.

Quote:
sunnyvera, I live in Northeast Ohio also, and have had no luck finding DE, there is a Western Reserve near where I live, is that the same as Landmark, as it used to be called that years ago?

Quote:
if you purchased DE at a pool supply store it's probably not food grade, i would not use it, feed stores nornally stock food grade DE, cost is around $25 for 50lb bag, you can also order food grade on the internet here's just one site www.earthworkshealth.com costs around $55 with shipping for a 50lb bag.

From all that I have read, you folks out west are tripping over bags of it! You are so lucky!!! I cannot find a grain of it here in MA though! Help???

Quote:
if you purchased DE at a pool supply store it's probably not food grade, i would not use it, feed stores nornally stock food grade DE, cost is around $25 for 50lb bag, you can also order food grade on the internet here's just one site www.earthworkshealth.com costs around $55 with shipping for a 50lb bag.

It was a local farmer who told me to go to the pool supply store! I didn't go to the same pool supply store, however, so I don't know what the story is with his supplier. But that website is great! $55 for a 50 lb. bag is a price I can get behind! Thanks for posting that! If no folks from MA send me alternatives, I may end up going with that!

That website helped me find a local supplier also...a farm supply store about 45 mins away from here. Finally! I have a bag of it
ya.gif

I thought it a bit pricey at $50 .......but it should last a while as long as I don't go too overboard spreading it everywhere to kill fire ants, fleas and roaches and all the other creepy crawlies around here
lol.png

The non-food-grade is made for use in swimming pool filters and contains other ingredients not healthy to breathe or accidentally eat/consume.

I have never found a feed store that didn't carry food-grade DE. I would betcha money that if you go to your local feed store and ask, either they have it, or they can tell you who does.

Back
Top Bottom