Food Items That are toxic to chickens...

I can't remember what thread I read this on but they were talking about whether or not apples were bad and someone said that her hens free range in her apple orchard and she has not had problems with their rate of laying.

My girls eat apples almost daily during the season and into the fall and if anything it boosts egg production in our coop.chickens not . As for eating anything salty...mine didn't get that memo either...they love leftover movie popcorn...unbuttered of course.

Quote:
Potatoes and peppers are also in the nightshade (Solanaceae) family and I have not been able to find any evidence that any of those plants are toxic to animals. I have seen where humans can have allergic like reactions, but that toxicity at best would vary greatly from plant to plant. Some plants have been genetically altered to deter animals from eating the plants. My girls do not seem all that interested in the mature tomato plants and they avoid the peppers all together. Of course it could have something to do with me screaming like a Banshee when the get to close to my veggies.

Back
Top Bottom