Food question.

rubberduckies

Songster
8 Years
Feb 9, 2013
Kentucky
I have 4 females and 1 male that are 4 weeks old. They've been eating nutrena nature wise starter. The bag is almost empty and ill be getting them a new bag this week. (Probably tomorrow). I was thinking I'd get the nutrena all flock? And they've been getting sand as grit. Should I change that? My girls won't be laying for a few months but when they do will I HAVE to give them layer feed or can they still eat the all flock and have oyster shell grit? And if they do have to have layer feed is that safe for my drake?

I have 4 females and 1 male that are 4 weeks old. They've been eating nutrena nature wise starter. The bag is almost empty and ill be getting them a new bag this week. (Probably tomorrow). I was thinking I'd get the nutrena all flock? And they've been getting sand as grit. Should I change that? My girls won't be laying for a few months but when they do will I HAVE to give them layer feed or can they still eat the all flock and have oyster shell grit? And if they do have to have layer feed is that safe for my drake?
I have always used Purina Flock Raiser with my whole flock from hatch till the end [the only brand I can get] I think as long as you offer oyster shell along side they should be fine, alot of folks say feeding drakes Layer isn't harmful, I'd rather not take the chance. I have fed 50/50 Layer and Flock raiser also. that does cut down on the amt. of calcium they are getting [drakes] I do put out grit for my flock too even though they range over alot of ground and probably get their own, it's just something I have always done.

Last edited:
You can switch them to All Flock. I used to feed it and I could only get pellets, don't know if it comes in crumbles. They may not have an easy time eating the pellets at this age but I don't remember how big they were. It is best to switch them slowly, so Id get it now, and mix the 2 a bit to avoid intestinal upset.

If they are foraging outside, they should be able to find their own grit. They don't need grit if they are ONLY eating commerical feed, only if they get greens, treats, bugs etc. Sand will be okay for now but soon they will need something larger. I don't provide grit but mine are outside almost all day as soon as their moms decide its okay. I would buy a small bag of grit and offer it in a seperate bowl, just in case. See if they use it, if they do keep buying it, if not stop.

They don't need to eat layer as long as you provide calcium to them. Crushed oyster shell is fine. Your drake can eat layer, its not ideal but is okay. No layer until you get the first egg though.

Ok. Thanks! I'll get the all flock and larger grit. And I'll just provide oyster shells when they start to lay. I was worried about the size of the pellets though. I've never seen them so I don't even know how big they are. My ducks can eat whole raisins and peas. Are the pellets about that size?

Ok. Thanks! I'll get the all flock and larger grit. And I'll just provide oyster shells when they start to lay. I was worried about the size of the pellets though. I've never seen them so I don't even know how big they are. My ducks can eat whole raisins and peas. Are the pellets about that size?
At 4 weeks they maybe able to eat the pellets unless they are bantam ducks, I have been getting the Flock Raiser crumble because it's easier for my chicks to eat it and ducklings when I have them, More than likely your feed store will have both if not ask them to order some just in case the pellets are too big for your ducks. They should be able to show you how big the pellets are then you can decide which you want.

Back
Top Bottom