Food Taboos?

I've eaten alligator before, when I went to Savannah, Georgia.

I wouldn't eat human, that would be the only taboo I could think of.

I wouldn't eat dog, unless I was starving.

-Kim

I have tried balut all i could do was chew it never got any down. It was more mental than anything it tasted like really powerful chicken stock with a strange indescribable taste that wasn't horrible but it was a baby duck and not my cup of tea. I tried century eggs after that and could eat a little bit but not much it tasted like dirt with a hint of rotten egg, the white turns into black jelly and the yolk is dark greenish they were really weird to say the least but i would never eat either ever again lol. I have also tried durian fruit it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be or as bad as it smelled. Think of rotten musk melons it was pretty horrible smelling and had the consistency of custard, tasted like a mix of really strong melon and onions but did not taste all that bad surprisingly. This was all brought to me by an older Vietnamese man i worked with. He would bring weird stuff like that and then laugh as we were totally grossed out eating it it really was pretty funny I guess.
tongue2.gif

Humans are dirty animals that carry lots of diseases that us fellow humans can get, so that's not going to be on my plate.

Any other little creature though, provided fresh and non poisonous is fair game for me. Pufferfish might be an exception to the poisonous thing, but I wouldn't be able to fork over the big bucks for that meal.

Guess 1000 year old eggs and fermented things don't count under fresh though. They are good.

I agree that human is taboo, can cause a mad cow like encephalopathy. I'm game for anything else. I did hear from an Asian chef I worked with that "big black dog" is the favorite breed. I remind my black lab of that when he gets out of control! lol
wink.png

Oh yeah, add the lethal poisonious stuff to my list of taboo, that includes the puffer fish.

-Kim

Last edited:
I have ate most wild game -

deer
quail
turkey
pheasant
alligator
moose
bison
i think i have had possum
squirrel
dove
and all other kinds of game and fish.

I like most vegetables to.

One thing I couldn't eat is a half incubated egg
sickbyc.gif

Quote:
My grandpa says puffer fish are the best tasting fish.

I was referring to a particular one that is extremely poisonous if not prepared "perfect". If you are referring to the same fish: I would hope it was the best-tasting, if people run the risk of it being ill prepared. LOL

-Kim

Back
Top Bottom