Food & Water in Coop

Where do you have the most space, is the run covered, what type of feeder/waterer are you using, etc?
There is no one right answer as many factor, such as the above questions, come into play. In a small prefab unit, for example, there really isnt room for feed, water and the already overestimated number of birds the manufacturer quoted. In a larger coop, there are more options. Large based feed/water units have a bigger footprint whereas a small PVC feed or water station tends to be mounted close to or attached to walls, etc making the space taken up much smaller.
Posting pics of what you are working with may help

My run is covered, so I usually keep food in two Grandpa’s Feeders and (right now) water in a metal fount and have a nipple waterer. At the moment, there are six eight-day old chicks in with the flockers, so the feed is in rubber pans or in the chick feeder and there are two metal founts in the run. I’ve got the feeders and waterers spread out so Momma Goldie doesn’t get hinky and run everyone off. (The reason I took the food out of the Grandpa’s Feeders was because my smallest, most curious chick, got trapped under the lid when she hopped up and in while a big bird was eating. I just about had a heart attack when I couldn’t find her but heard her peeps from somewhere!)

0D82BD43-B1BB-40CF-B863-69F0BAEFF362.jpeg
A3AA2D66-65ED-42C7-809D-7B9520D81150.jpeg
BA466112-EDDC-4B9F-B5E8-E708534D2D43.jpeg

When the weather is horrible (I’m talking fourteen below and windy), I will move a feeder and waterer (with a heated base) inside the coop so they can chow down in relative comfort.

hi
Where do you have the most space, is the run covered, what type of feeder/waterer are you using, etc?
There is no one right answer as many factor, such as the above questions, come into play. In a small prefab unit, for example, there really isnt room for feed, water and the already overestimated number of birds the manufacturer quoted. In a larger coop, there are more options. Large based feed/water units have a bigger footprint whereas a small PVC feed or water station tends to be mounted close to or attached to walls, etc making the space taken up much smaller.
Posting pics of what you are working with may help
The chicken part of the coop is 8’ x 8’ and the covered run is 10’ x 12’. We have an auto door between the two that opens 1/2 hour after sunrise and closes 1/2 hour before sunset. I was worried that they wouldn’t have food or water while they are in the coop if I put it in the run. Attached is the feeder that I am using.

Thank you. The run is covered. So they don’t need water while they are in the coop overnight? Or food?
No, they do not need either one overnight. They neither eat nor drink when roosting. My run is totally covered and my coop is only 5X5 so food and water is in the run. My pop door (which stays open 24/7/365) opens directly into the run so as soon as they get off the roost they have access to feed and water. If you are in an area where the birds are confined to the coop due to weather or other reasons, then food and water in the coop would be needed.

Back
Top Bottom