Foodies and/or Chefs, I need your advice.

Scratch & Peck is a great feed IMO, though it's best fermented. The powdery fines in the feed contain a lot of vitamins and nutrients that you want the chickens to eat, and fermenting (or serving wet) helps make them stick to the grains so the chickens eat them.

Properly managed deep litter shouldn't stink. It should smell earthy. My run only smells if it's been raining a lot, and even then it's only noticeable if I crouch down. It was quite wet yesterday morning so I could smell it when I sat outside the run doing repairs. This morning, the smell is completely gone.

Hello :D

We eat our eggs we don't eat our chickens, but we do get some amazing tasting eggs! We feed our chickens dumor organic layer pellets... but we also let them free range and eat lots of bugs and grass and plants! This is what I think makes the biggest difference, letting them forage for food naturally. You actually can tell the difference day-to-day because as soon as they free range, their yolks turn a very rich orange color, whereas if they skip a day they are back to yellow. Orange yolks indicate more nutrients, which indicate tastier, eggier eggs!

Hope this helps! :)

Back
Top Bottom