Foodsavers - what're your thoughts?

I have a Food Saver and one of those new sealers that Reynolds put out, you use the ziploc type bags and the vacuum sealer is handheld. I like the Reynolds type much better. The price seems to be much cheaper as well, the Food Saver brand bags and rolls are quite expensive and it is easier to use. I just put up some green beans with it today! Much easier than canning!

I have a foodsaver and I love it, I have my pantry lined with mason jars I have sealed, with all my beans and pasta. I love the bags and the canisiters. My thought is you need to put it where you can get to it in a snap. If it is a pain to get to or out of sight you do not use it. we also use it to marinate meat works great.

I use regular ziplocs, and a straw to suck all the air out. I looked at foodsavers, but didn't think they would justify the cost. I know, I,m cheap
tongue2.gif

Quote:
Are you using the food saver to "seal" the mason jars? If so please tell how, that sounds great!
big_smile.png

We use ours a lot! We buy bulk flours and grains and break them down to smaller size portions and put them in the deep freeze. Easier to handle and keeps it fresh longer, no freezer burn!
wink.png

I'm on my 3rd seal a meal in a year. They just keep breaking. I love them when they work, but I get really ticked off when i'm in the middle of a freezing project and have to switch to ziplocks!

Quote:
Me too....the kids got me a Food Saver for Christmas last year, I do like it especially for meat. The Reynolds thing was on sale last week. I picked one up & love it to put up single servings of veggies from the garden!

Quote:
I have seen those Reynolds sealers in the store and often wondered how well they worked. I'm a little gun shy about trying new things like that....I don't know why, if you buy it at Walmart and don't like it they will always take it back. I guess I'll have to give it a try.

I throw in another positive vote on the Foodsaver. I bought mine at Costco and
love it. The bags aren't cheap.

We use it on chickens and the big packages of meat we buy on sale.

It completely kills freezer burn or freezer taste.

Careful with shrimp or anything sharp as it will puncture the bags.

I love the Reynolds Handi-Vac, too. I have frozen everything this year using it, big and small. And at about $9 for the sealer, you can't beat the price. The bags cost exactly the same as regular freezer bags, too. I sent my husband for more bags one day when I was freezing squash and okra, and he came back with Ziploc vacuum-sealer bags, so apparently now Ziploc also has a handheld vacuum sealer out, too.

Back
Top Bottom