Fools errand - any chance of sexing a 1-2 day Silkie?

Sweet little chick. Hope you have some others to keep it company.
Too young for DNA sexing (unless you hatched it and have the egg shell). They need to have some feathers to send for testing. With silkies, around 4 weeks of age. Which is still way younger than you otherwise will know. Most silkies can not be sexed until they are about 4 months of age. 😊

Not so! You can use blood collected from a toe nail. I did it with mine for my project. Haven't gotten the results back yet but it was actually really easy to collect the samples and the chicks were fine afterwards (I practically bathed them in styptic powder though, lol). They were honestly more upset just being away from their buds than having me clip their toenail to the quick.

Not so! You can use blood collected from a toe nail. I did it with mine for my project. Haven't gotten the results back yet but it was actually really easy to collect the samples and the chicks were fine afterwards (I practically bathed them in styptic powder though, lol). They were honestly more upset just being away from their buds than having me clip their toenail to the quick.
Yes you are right! I completely forgot about the blood option as I have only done egg shell and feathers myself! It was late over here. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom