Foot help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by calichicken, Apr 30, 2018.

1. MatthewsHomestead

MatthewsHomestead Free Ranging

Feb 21, 2018
    NC Foothills
    Yay! So glad to hear! Please keep us posted on the little ones progress!

calichicken and TwoCrows like this.
  2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the word

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Yes!! I cant remember the dosage, I can go dig it out of my medicine cabinet if you don't know. The dosage is on the side of the bottle I think. :)

3. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Ok its 1ml per 3 pounds. So I would use a few drops?

calichicken likes this.
  4. calichicken

calichicken Crowing

Thank you!!! All is well this morning!!! Going to take his little sandals off when I get home today and see how those toes are looking! He us running around all over the place now and even was able to put a quail friend in with him now!!!:love

TwoCrows likes this.
  5. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Yay!! Hows the little guy doing now? :)

calichicken likes this.
  6. calichicken

calichicken Crowing

Ok..so toes are looking great after taking off the sandals!!!! His one foot is really bent at the ankle???? Not sure that's what it is on a quail? Is this fixable? He is running and hop 20180501_173101.jpg ping around well...it does slide out a bit if he runs too fast .

TwoCrows likes this.
  7. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Poor baby. Ive never had one with such severe issues like this. Can you keep him in the shoes, bending the joint in the right direction? Hopefully the joint hasn't fused in this position.

@JaeG @007Sean got any ideas?

calichicken likes this.
  8. calichicken

calichicken Crowing

It doesn't bend easily and his little leg is so tiny, I'm scared to bend it too much. I put shelf liner down to give him good traction. He sprints around no problem, but of course I would like to help correct it if possible...he is 2 days old now and I know it's important to try and correct right away

TwoCrows likes this.
  9. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    At some point this joint may fuse in this position and it may have already. I am not sure you can do much at this point. He will probably be a special needs quail the rest of his days. You are the perfect momma for the job Dawn!!!! :hugs :D

calichicken likes this.
  10. calichicken

calichicken Crowing

I think you are right! It straightened a little on its own, but he has adapted already. Running around with the group, I can't even tell which one he is anymore! And yes..he will be a permanent mountain quail:D:love

TwoCrows likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: