Foot infection

The picture above is what her feet looked like before treatment, this is what it looks like now. I didn't post the after because it just a lot more swollen and purple from the blu kote. There were some mites, not an infestation and some of the chickens she came with have scaly mites on their legs. I haven't seen any lice. I don't know what you mean by tempuratures, I have never taken a chicken's tempurature if that is what you mean. I'll go get some photos of her head. Thanks for posting.
It's kind of hard to see but there is a brown scally lump on her ear and a bump behind her eye

Attachments

• 20220221_200358.jpg
    20220221_200358.jpg
    424 KB · Views: 3
Its like she has a head and foot infection. She has been this way since I got her on December 16th. She doesn't have any other respiratory signs, symptoms, no coughing, sneezing wheezing or heavy breathing.

She gets a probiotic in her water, and yogurt, spinnach( iron), strawberries, tomatoes, softened catfood for protein and beans. she has a companion chicken and both are living in the house.

I didn't post the after because it just a lot more swollen and purple from the blu kote. There were some mites, not an infestation and some of the chickens she came with have scaly mites on their legs. I haven't seen any lice. I don't know what you mean by tempuratures, I have never taken a chicken's tempurature if that is what you mean.
Does she have any lesions inside her beak?

The initial photo (what it originally looked like when you got her) looks like a bad case of Scaly Leg Mites with infection, but SLM can cause infection.
So, what you're saying is it's getting progressively worse. Under the blu kote, it looks like there's a lot of pus.
Ears have infection looks like to me as well.

Hopefully your vet's culture will come back and you'll have more info about how to treat this.

You mention that there were some mites, but not an infestation? For me, any mites would be cause for concern and immediate treatment. Did you treat for mites?

Do you feed nutritionally balanced poultry feed at all?

Does she have any lesions inside her beak? I have not looked into her beak, neither did the vet. What would you suspect in her mouth?

The initial photo (what it originally looked like when you got her) looks like a bad case of Scaly Leg Mites with infection, but SLM can cause infection.
So, what you're saying is it's getting progressively worse. Under the blu kote, it looks like there's a lot of pus.
Ears have infection looks like to me as well.

Hopefully your vet's culture will come back and you'll have more info about how to treat this.

You mention that there were some mites, but not an infestation? For me, any mites would be cause for concern and immediate treatment. Did you treat for mites?

Do you feed nutritionally balanced poultry feed at all?
Thank you for all of your input, you are giving me things to think about. I initially treated all the chickens with coconut oil for the scaly leg mites and they have a dust bath in their coop in a small pool. I treat their shelves each week with diatomaceous earth, it's winter here in upstate NY and not much else to do. She did get a shot of Ivermectin. when this whole thing started. They are getting a mix of crumbles, laying mash, cracked corn and bird seed with oyster shells. I don't know what they were eating before I got them, I suspect laying mash. right now she is getting the works, crumbles, leafy spinach, yogurt and softened cat food with all kind of everything I can entice her with. One idea I saw was maybe gout which swells, can get infected and with my vet instructing me to "debride it", may have increased the infection. That is making me re-thing the softened cat food as that is loaded with protein. I don't know, waiting on the vet. I have had chickens all my life and don't think I have ever gotten rid of mites entirely, it seems the wild birds have them so they are a constant pest.

She did get a shot of Ivermectin. when this whole thing started.
Did she get a repeat shot of Ivermectin?
Normally Ivermectin is given at least twice, 10 days apart.

DE Is not going to irradicate an lice and mite infestation. Permethrin dust or spray is an effective treatment. Treat the birds and housing in 7 day intervals.

SLM live under the scales, so coconut oil or vaseline can help smother them. But the oils would need to be applied at least once a week until the legs heals. Ivermectin is also an effective treatment for SLM, but it needs to be repeated as well.
(Permethrin dusts or sprays are topical and will not treat SLM).

It's possible that is Gout, but I don't ever remember seeing any infection like that even in photos from Gout.

No, she didn't get another shot of Ivermectin, good point and I'll bring that up when I ever go back to talk about the culture. So far no word that the culture has come back. I have started soaking her feet nightly in Epsom salt, I let her feet air dry last night, will bag balm them/wrap this am then soak again tonight. See if that helps. And I work full time, an hour away and have been doing this since December.. She's got to get better, I have too much time invested (and money) in her.

Back
Top Bottom