Foot Injury

Soaking is okay with frostbite, just no scrubbing or massaging. It looks to me more like a smash injury, or a frostbitten foot that has been injured (if only one foot got wet.) She might have gotten the foot stuck under something as well. To be honest, I use a heat lamp in zero temperatures, just to slightly warm the area under it, but it is secured twice, bulb is tightened and checked daily.

Here is the bottom of her foot, soaked it this morning.

Attachments

• 20190210_100324.jpg
    20190210_100324.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 14
It looks swollen. If you see blisters leave them alone. The soaks can be done once a day. Is she using the foot? How is the scabbing on top of the foot and lower leg looking? Plain antibiotic ointment can be dabbed on gently twice a day.

No she is not bearing any weight on the foot at all, just kind of hops around on the one leg/foot that is not injured, it looks pretty scabbed on the top and seems to have an odor :/ I feel for her watching her try to move around but she is eating and drinking with no hesitation so hopefully this may help the swelling.

If it is stinky it is probably infected. Can you get antibiotics locally?

If so, I have no clue where or how? Would a feed store supply that? I would assume not without a vet doing something, but maybe I am wrong on that?

Are you soaking the foot daily? I would use some Betadine or Hibiclens (chlorhexidene) in the water. That should help with infection, along with applying plain antibiotic ointment

This will work for chickens even though every warning on the page says for fish consumption only? Don't want to sound doubtful just want to make sure.. not had to give antibiotics to any of our birds so far so sadly amox is not in my goodies box for our girls. Only thing ive used so far is epsom salt for the soaking of her foot, I feel so bad for her, it makes me really wonder if another bird caused something to crush or stomp on the foot. I know our little newest dog likes to go pester the birds if we aren't watching her while shes outside, so she may have injured her somehow too trying to play with her. (or to the dog is playing but really isn't) Again is the items you mention putting in the water available at a local feed store at all?

Back
Top Bottom