Foot Injury

Pics
warning.. picture is graphic..

Attachments

• 20190509_224628.jpg
    20190509_224628.jpg
    634.7 KB · Views: 4
Yes :( I see no eyes and her top beak is ripped off on the ground. Im so upset with myself for not locking the coop soon enough, I loved the coloring of this one so much ugh!!!
I'm so sorry!
The poor thing:hugs
What are you wanting to do. Put her down or try to help?
If you want to help, we will try to help you, but with that damage if she survives for a few days, she's got a long road ahead of her and you will need to give her a lot of extra care, bringing her inside would be best to keep the wounds clean (flies will be attracted to that and lay eggs), she may need to be tube fed,etc. so if all that's not possible, the I would put her down.
There's no right/wrong answer here - you know your situation, your work/family time/commitments.

Some chickens have survived attacks here is one - it took a long time and the owner gave her a LOT of extra care.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/plese-help-chickens-beak-got-bit-off.848424/

I dont even see any eye balls left on this girl :( I have never had to put any of ours down so im not sure what id do to do so? I just don't know if she would heal up and i feel she would need tube fed the rest of her life however long that may be. sooo bummed we just lost one that I found yesterday. dont know how she died though.

I'm so sorry!
The poor thing:hugs
What are you wanting to do. Put her down or try to help?
If you want to help, we will try to help you, but with that damage if she survives for a few days, she's got a long road ahead of her and you will need to give her a lot of extra care, bringing her inside would be best to keep the wounds clean (flies will be attracted to that and lay eggs), she may need to be tube fed,etc. so if all that's not possible, the I would put her down.
There's no right/wrong answer here - you know your situation, your work/family time/commitments.

Some chickens have survived attacks here is one - it took a long time and the owner gave her a LOT of extra care.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/plese-help-chickens-beak-got-bit-off.848424/
You've always been so helpful in the past, is it cruel to try and nurse her to health if possible? she survived the night and it looks like she still has a left eye bottom beak but not seeing any other damage no additional major blood loss, warm water clean up maybe she will survive? she sure fought me lastnight.

I dont even see any eye balls left on this girl :( I have never had to put any of ours down so im not sure what id do to do so? I just don't know if she would heal up and i feel she would need tube fed the rest of her life however long that may be. sooo bummed we just lost one that I found yesterday. dont know how she died though.

You've always been so helpful in the past, is it cruel to try and nurse her to health if possible? she survived the night and it looks like she still has a left eye bottom beak but not seeing any other damage no additional major blood loss, warm water clean up maybe she will survive? she sure fought me lastnight.
Do you have any updated photos of her?
It's very hard to know - depending on the damage, I would probably put her down. That's my first reaction to you initial photo.

not yet, surprisingly she laid an egg today despite all the trauma.
Sometimes they have an egg on the way already, so an injured/sick hen will lay that egg.

If you can post some photos of her injuries, I will try to help you with her if you'd like.
The wounds would need to be flushed out really well. Since they are on the head/eyes, the use saline, that would be most gentle. Saline is routinely used to flush injured eyes.
You can purchase ready made saline at WalMart/CVS or you can make your own. The recipe is 1 teaspoon of salt per quart of water. Boil for 15minutes, let cool completely. Extra can be stored in a sterilized jar for up to 24hrs then throw out and make new.

Clip any feathers away and out of the wounds, then apply plain Neosporin or use Vetericyn on the wounds. Both can be used in the eyes so don't worry about having to be extremely careful.

She needs hydration. Without seeing her - it's hard to know, but she may be able to drink if you hold a cup up to her beak. If not syringe or tube fluids into her. I would add something like Poultry Cell to the water if you have that. Once you get her hydrated, then try to get a little food in her. Chicken feed made into a mush, Kaytee baby bird formula or similar can be used.

With being ripped up like that, if she were mine, I would also give her a round of antibiotics. Do you have anything on hand? Procaine penicillin G can be found at Tractor Supply in the refrigerated section. Dosage is 1/4ml given for 4 days injected into the breast muscle 1/4" deep. You can also find 20gauge needles and syringes at Tractor Supply.

Keep her in a warm quiet place, you want her to be where flies cannot get into the wounds - they will lay eggs in the wounds - nasty stuff there, you don't want that.

Here's some help with tube feeding. Keep us posted.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/updated-go-team-tube-feeding.805728/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ng-guide-pictures-under-construction.1064392/

Back
Top Bottom