Foot Injury

I just took cat food or tuna cans (the steel tuna cans hold up better than the aluminum cat food cans for a repeat use) and drove 2 nail holes into the bottom. Then I would put a shoe lace or twine through the hole, and tie it to the bottom of the trap in the right spot. Wire works as well. Then, I would place the small amount of tuna, salmon, or cut up Snickers into the small can. The hardest part was setting those traps. We would put the trap between a couple of bales of straw to hold it, and sometimes we would put an old tarp over the trap except for the opening. The tarp became shredded after awhile. We caught 10 in about 2 weeks. Sorry I don’t have pictures.

I just took cat food or tuna cans (the steel tuna cans hold up better than the aluminum cat food cans for a repeat use) and drove 2 nail holes into the bottom. Then I would put a shoe lace or twine through the hole, and tie it to the bottom of the trap in the right spot. Wire works as well. Then, I would place the small amount of tuna, salmon, or cut up Snickers into the small can. The hardest part was setting those traps. We would put the trap between a couple of bales of straw to hold it, and sometimes we would put an old tarp over the trap except for the opening. The tarp became shredded after awhile. We caught 10 in about 2 weeks. Sorry I don’t have pictures.
What you described is pretty much what I imagined except thought id just zip tie the can down instead, could you tell when one tried to just dump the trap? as I am considering putting brick pavers on top to add weight so hopefully it cant be moved or tipped as easily.

Zip ties might work, but they are strong animals and use teeth and claws. I would try it. They chewed up my aluminum cat food cans while sitting inside the trap waiting to be found. My neighbor, a farmer agave me the idea about the straw bales and tarp, but I spent a lot time trying to get the tarp loose from the trap after it was so shredded by the clawing raccoon. Bricks or a cinder block may work. Experimenting is the best way to find what works. My neighbor also told me how much they love the Snickers bars because of the peanuts, LOL.

Well.. we had another critter visit lastnight this time it was a opossum. We had a window open still on the back of the house and I heard commotion from them or so I thought, upon initial check I didn't see anything but after further inspection I found him back behind the tree,the same spot the last hens feathers were. I attempted to get him atleast startled with an ice pick and attempted to cage him for the night but he climb up into a tree like the raccoon did.. Ive baited the trap with more goodies, anything else I can do to lure him in?

Well.. we had another critter visit lastnight this time it was a opossum. We had a window open still on the back of the house and I heard commotion from them or so I thought, upon initial check I didn't see anything but after further inspection I found him back behind the tree,the same spot the last hens feathers were. I attempted to get him atleast startled with an ice pick and attempted to cage him for the night but he climb up into a tree like the raccoon did.. Ive baited the trap with more goodies, anything else I can do to lure him in?
So you have the cage traps?
I've always used cheap stinky canned cat food, possum and raccoon both seem to like that here.
Placement of cage may need to be adjusted, if they are hanging out around that tree, maybe put the cage there?

Since they are going up that tree, if you have a safe clear shot, just shoot them while up there?

So you have the cage traps?
I've always used cheap stinky canned cat food, possum and raccoon both seem to like that here.
Placement of cage may need to be adjusted, if they are hanging out around that tree, maybe put the cage there?

Since they are going up that tree, if you have a safe clear shot, just shoot them while up there?
Id shoot them while up there if I had a means to do so. Ive had the cage out for about 2 weeks so far and have not gotten anything thus far.

Id shoot them while up there if I had a means to do so. Ive had the cage out for about 2 weeks so far and have not gotten anything thus far.
figures I saw this and the raccoon comes back and got one again but this one is still alive :/

Yes :( I see no eyes and her top beak is ripped off on the ground. Im so upset with myself for not locking the coop soon enough, I loved the coloring of this one so much ugh!!!

Back
Top Bottom