Foot Injury

They can climb a tree like a squirrel can? Last time this happened 2 days later a opossum showed up in the trap, same scenario, but still wasnt sure if that is what did it or not the last time.. after he was caught and traps reset for several more weeks nothing came back? was that just luck or? Clearly I think without some kind of camera its hard to know. Appreciate the hugs. these 2 girls were pretty ,just stinks loosing them.

Oh and does anyone have any tips on how to get the 10 traumatized hens that are roosting on our back porch back into the coop once this door is fixed?

I don't know if a possum would climb a tree with something to eat, all the ones I have ever seen usually eat what they find in place.

It's possible the critter that killed them took part of the carcass up the tree or you may have more than one thing coming around.

If you can take photos of what you see, that may be helpful.
As far as getting them back into the coop, likely you will have to either place them into the coop for several nights in a row or lock them in before roosting time.
Is your porch safer than the coop? I would worry that they would be just as vulnerable there.

I don't know if a possum would climb a tree with something to eat, all the ones I have ever seen usually eat what they find in place.

It's possible the critter that killed them took part of the carcass up the tree or you may have more than one thing coming around.

If you can take photos of what you see, that may be helpful.
As far as getting them back into the coop, likely you will have to either place them into the coop for several nights in a row or lock them in before roosting time.
Is your porch safer than the coop? I would worry that they would be just as vulnerable there.
View media item 7913138 Here is the remanants of the buff about 10 feet or so up, a chunk of feathers and her head are laying on the ground.

20190409_125805.jpg

Here is hen number 2 found her just laying like this. I am actively working on the door still but to answer your question no the porch is not safer really.. Although the birds seem to think it is.

Iowa. we had this exact same thing happen either last year or year before, but whatever it was only got 1 chicken instead of 2 and you could tell where the critter ripped its way into the coop back then before I learned about hardware cloth. I just dont want this to keep happening and loose the whole flock. Was already wondering if perhaps it was more than 1 critter involved, we have had some owls hanging around too, but I am not sure they would do this kind of damage?

well.. whatever this creature is its been back, in the time I came into the house/garage to rebuild the frame on the door it came back and ate the head of the buff and all but one small piece of the bones left for her body, feet legs,ect. all gone now. Thoughts???

Well it's sneaky!
Since you found the carcass in a tree, I would lean toward Bobcat, but....you have something that got the rest while you were moving around outside - Fox or Coyote.

My thoughts is you are dealing with more than one - a kill can bring in other predators.
Chickens just attract predators in general.

Back
Top Bottom