Foot Injury

Where do you live? Is it cold winter or freezing temps? Any chance of frostbite? It kind of looks like an injury with swelling of the toes, discoloration, and scabbing. Could she have been stepped on or had the foot crushed or injured under something? I would soak the feet in warm Epsom salts daily and apply some antibiotic ointment to the scabby area twice a day.

upload_2019-2-9_18-28-36.jpeg

Soaking is okay with frostbite, just no scrubbing or massaging. It looks to me more like a smash injury, or a frostbitten foot that has been injured (if only one foot got wet.) She might have gotten the foot stuck under something as well. To be honest, I use a heat lamp in zero temperatures, just to slightly warm the area under it, but it is secured twice, bulb is tightened and checked daily.

This will work for chickens even though every warning on the page says for fish consumption only? Don't want to sound doubtful just want to make sure.. not had to give antibiotics to any of our birds so far so sadly amox is not in my goodies box for our girls. Only thing ive used so far is epsom salt for the soaking of her foot, I feel so bad for her, it makes me really wonder if another bird caused something to crush or stomp on the foot. I know our little newest dog likes to go pester the birds if we aren't watching her while shes outside, so she may have injured her somehow too trying to play with her. (or to the dog is playing but really isn't) Again is the items you mention putting in the water available at a local feed store at all?

Oh and as far as a vet goes, I dont know of any close by that see chickens to be able to get some Amox prescribed or whatever would need done. I am surprised a local feed store wouldn't carry this version of it that is made for fish?

Hopefully I didn't make it worse on her, but is Vetericyn ok or not ok at this point to spray on it? We do have some of that from our dogs that I used yesterday, but I am not sure if it helped or not.. It really don't look much better today and she is still limping around on it, poor thing.. Appreciate your help eggcessive and texas

You can look around at local stores for fish antibiotics. But many things are available online. The fish antibiotics are the same amoxicillin chemically. There are also antibiotics for pigeons that many use on chickens, such as baytril or canker medicines. It is up to you whether to use them or not, but many people here on the forum use them on their chickens.

My only fear of ordering online, is will it get here in time before whatever this is ends up taking its toll on her :/ I really would hope not. Is the epsom salt soaking a good or bad idea? The other soaking chemicals that you mentioned are they also a best purchased online item as well?

Chlorhexidene (Hibiclens) and Povidone Iodine Wound Solution are available at Walmart in the first aid aisle. Both are good at initial first aid of wounds. After initial disinfection, saline can be used. Saline can be homemade with 2 tsp of table salt added to a quart or liter of water.

Chlorhexidene (Hibiclens) and Povidone Iodine Wound Solution are available at Walmart in the first aid aisle. Both are good at initial first aid of wounds. After initial disinfection, saline can be used. Saline can be homemade with 2 tsp of table salt added to a quart or liter of water.
Thank you eggcessive!! can that other solution be used if the wound is now open?? :( didn't have $ to buy either til today so ive only been able to give this poor girl the Epsom salt soaks I dont want to inflict more pain if that is now a bad idea im about to go get another picture of her foot now, poor thing :(

First Aid Antiseptic (povidone iodine) is the generic 10% betadine that WalMart sells in the first aid aisle. It is a liquid. You can find it in most any drug store as povidone iodine, or sometimes by the brand name betadine.

Back
Top Bottom