Foot/leg injury…only using one leg

Jul 13, 2022
I wanted to make a separate thread for Miss BBs foot/leg injury.
She holds up her leg close to her body and just hops around when she has to. She mostly just lays all day. When she tries to put it down her wing falls down almost like a crutch to break the fall. This has been going on for 3 weeks (rescued her from a neighbor who no longer wanted to care for her)
I checked on her a little while ago and got some better pictures of her injured foot. I found a round red spot on her foot and wasn’t sure if it’s a outward injury or internal injury.
If anyone has an idea what this is let me know. We are thinking about making a vet appointment to get an X-ray but do not have a poultry vet nearby.
Also if you wanted to see and read more about her I have a seperate thread.

Attachments

• 95F3FABE-4AA2-4D6B-A6BC-50BE520F3D2F.jpeg
    95F3FABE-4AA2-4D6B-A6BC-50BE520F3D2F.jpeg
    296.6 KB · Views: 31
  • A79D2C5C-E48E-468D-9AD3-228BD6F10E1C.jpeg
    A79D2C5C-E48E-468D-9AD3-228BD6F10E1C.jpeg
    236.7 KB · Views: 13
Have you soaked the foot in Epsom salts? Have you examined the spot in bright light to see if it's perhaps a puncture wound with a foreign body still stuck in it? Is there any swelling around the red area?

Have you soaked the foot in Epsom salts? Have you examined the spot in bright light to see if it's perhaps a puncture wound with a foreign body still stuck in it? Is there any swelling around the red area?
I soaked her in Epsom salts yesterday
I’ll probably do it again tomorrow
There doesn’t appear to be any foreign object, it it’s a little swollen (just in that one spot)
I’m treating her for scaly leg mites also but I don’t know if that’s why she’s not putting pressure on it.

Have you tested the leg for mobility? Can she push against your hand with her foot? If you stand her on her feet, does this leg appear to be under her control or is it floppy and cause her to collapse?

Did her original owners have a lot of leaking machinery sitting about where the chickens scratched around?

Have you tested the leg for mobility? Can she push against your hand with her foot? If you stand her on her feet, does this leg appear to be under her control or is it floppy and cause her to collapse?

Did her original owners have a lot of leaking machinery sitting about where the chickens scratched around?
She holds it up close to her body.
I’ve tried moving in a up and down movement but it’s either stiff or she’s resisting 🤷🏼‍♀️
Not sure about the machinery, when I went in their backyard I didn’t see any machines.

It doesn't seem to be paralysis or she wouldn't be able to resist. The leg would flop like an over cooked noodle. That means she's holding the leg up under her belly because it's causing significant pain.

You can give her an 81 grain (baby) aspirin twice a day to reduce pain and inflammation. Soaking in Epsom salts will increase circulation and hasten healing. It will also help any foreign body embedded to work itself free. You can also use a drawing salve (Prid) on the red area and wrap the foot in Vetrap so she doesn't peck the salve. It's probably toxic when ingested and you don't need to add to her problems.

It doesn't seem to be paralysis or she wouldn't be able to resist. The leg would flop like an over cooked noodle. That means she's holding the leg up under her belly because it's causing significant pain.

You can give her an 81 grain (baby) aspirin twice a day to reduce pain and inflammation. Soaking in Epsom salts will increase circulation and hasten healing. It will also help any foreign body embedded to work itself free. You can also use a drawing salve (Prid) on the red area and wrap the foot in Vetrap so she doesn't peck the salve. It's probably toxic when ingested and you don't need to add to her problems.
Thank you so much! I will try this out.

Back
Top Bottom