Foot problems? Please help

Why does so many people say Feed it this and that---Its sick and it probably like us when we are bad sick----Don't want to eat. It needs to be Doctored then try to get it to eat a little. Just Saying

@PD-Riverman Yes, thank you. I appreciate the advice! I would like to rule out worms and Marek's

@PD-Riverman - I am not sure as we just got her, but I can ask. She is small and light, but she was not eating. She's shown improvement since we've had her. As precaution, I will have her poop tested - just to rule out. Thanks again!

Is she eating Now being you stated she is showing improvement?

@PD-Riverman Yes- since we've had her and been giving her supplemented water and chick starter, she is standing, taking a few steps without stumbling, drinking and eating on her own. She is drinking and eating what I think is a normal amount. Her poop looks normal too.

@PD-Riverman Yes- since we've had her and been giving her supplemented water and chick starter, she is standing, taking a few steps without stumbling, drinking and eating on her own. She is drinking and eating what I think is a normal amount. Her poop looks normal too.

Good, if she has tape worms she can eat all she wants but will not get any better. I lost 27 in the 5 month old range to tape woms---a few before the testing----the rest after---waiting for the results from the testing. Which was tape worms, I started treating for them and even the ones that were some-what sickly perked up. 27 is a lot but I had over 1000 chickens at that time in 67 chicken pens so it could have been worse. Most do not realize it takes a different wormer for tape worms than round worms etc. If you got a question or I can help---PM me. Good Luck.

Last edited:
You mention in your opening post that she is 5 MONTHS old, is this correct?

I'm glad to hear she seems to be responding to nutrition. If she were being kept from food and water, then she is most likely suffering from malnourishment and dehydration.

Chick starter is fine to feed. The addition of egg and tuna will help if it happens to also be Wry Neck (she's putting her head underneath her). Eggs and tuna contain Selenium which along with Vitamin E is used to treat symptoms of Wry Neck. It will be essential to ensure that she is getting Vitamin E, Selenium and B vitamins to see if she will recover. Wry Neck is a symptom - now, whether it is a symptom of nutrition/vitamin deficiency, a genetic/developmental disorder or disease like Marek's is yet to be seen.

Worms are a possibility, if she does not continue to respond to nourishment and vitamins, then you will want to have a vet perform a fecal float test for you. Have them check for worms and cocci.

Back
Top Bottom