Foot problems? Please help

Ginny13

In the Brooder
Feb 10, 2017
Hello - We adopted a pullet from a friend that raises meat chickens. We have a small flock of hens we have as pets. The friends chickens were beating up the pullet and my friend asked if I would want her for our flock thinking she'd do better. My friend said she has "balance issues." She's about 5 months old. She's small and couldn't walk at all wen we got her two days ago. When we got her I cleaned her up and noticed her feet didn't look right - brown spots - 2 toenails missing on one foot - dark discoloration. She wasn't drinking or eating. I gave her water supplemented with electrolytes and vitamins and she started drinking when I held it up to her beak. She wasn't eating regular chicken food so I tried the chick starter crumbles I had left over and she ate them. I soaked her in Epsom salt bath and put bactroban on her feet. Today (two days later) she stands, drinks and eats on her own. I am still concerned about her feet - maybe bactroban is not enough. Thinking frost bite or bad infection. She can take a few steps without stumbling but when she stands for a while she stands with her head underneath her (see picture). I am also not completely sure its just her feet. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
I should also add she is pooping fine now and it looks normal.

Last edited:
Hello - We adopted a pullet from a friend that raises meat chickens. We have a small flock of hens we have as pets. The friends chickens were beating up the pullet and my friend asked if I would want her for our flock thinking she'd do better. My friend said she has "balance issues." She's about 5 months old. She's small and couldn't walk at all wen we got her two days ago. When we got her I cleaned her up and noticed her feet didn't look right - brown spots - 2 toenails missing on one foot - dark discoloration. She wasn't drinking or eating. I gave her water supplemented with electrolytes and vitamins and she started drinking when I held it up to her beak. She wasn't eating regular chicken food so I tried the chick starter crumbles I had left over and she ate them. I soaked her in Epsom salt bath and put bactroban on her feet. Today (two days later) she stands, drinks and eats on her own. I am still concerned about her feet - maybe bactroban is not enough. Thinking frost bite or bad infection. She can take a few steps without stumbling but when she stands for a while she stands with her head underneath her (see picture). I am also not completely sure its just her feet. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Welcome To BYC!

With her head underneath her like that she may have a Vitamin E deficiency or a nuerological disorder from illness like Marek's.

Do you know what breed she is? She's a tiny thing.

Giving her chick starter is a good idea. Offer her some poultry vitamins containing Vitamin E and Selenium (Poultry Nutri-Drench comes to mind). You can also give her some chopped egg or tuna mixed in with her feed.

The feet look like they may have frostbite or possibly some type of contact dermatitis (from being in feces) . Soaking in epsom salt will hopefully help heal them. I had to look up the Bactroban, but it looks like it is fine to use (someone else may have better input on that). If you are worried about using the Bactroban - you can apply triple antibiotic ointment, Vetericyn or honey to the feet. Keep her on clean dry bedding.

Depending on the severity of damage to the feet she some or part of the toes could possibly die and fall off. Just keep treating them - time will tell what happens to the feet.

I hope she perks up with nutrition, vitamins and TLC.

Keep us posted.

That chicken is Sick and I would Not want it with in 200 yards of my other chickens. I would Move it away NOW. Hopefully it just needs to be wormed----quick before it dies. I have had them do the same thing and were eat up with Tape Worms(had tested). Most wormer will not touch a tape worm so if you do not know what to use---ask. The feet??? Might be because its immune system is down??

Last edited:
@Wyorp Rock - thank you for your kind words. I do not know what breed she is but do know she is not a bantam and she is small. I am thinking because she hasn't been eating right. I will try the supplements you suggested. Thanks for that. The flock she came from are healthy but, I was worried about a contagious disease so we do have her isolated and I am only caring for her and not going near our other hens - just in case. I am hopeful because she seems to be improving. I will keep you posted. Thanks again.

Last edited:
I agree that it may be Marek's disease and you need to be careful if you have juvenile birds in your own flock or raise chicks, so need to practice good biosecurity. I also agree that good nutrition, vitamin supplements and TLC may make a big improvement. You need to support the immune system to give the bird a chance. Feed mostly moist foods like scrambled egg. soaked or fermented chicken feed, soggy bread with vitamin drops on it, fish is good, oily fish better...whatever you can get it to eat. I would not worm at this stage as it is already too unwell. By all means get a faecal sample checked out if you suspect worms, but giving unnecessary chemicals to a sick bird is not a good idea.
Continue with the epsom salts foot soaks and antiseptic ointment.

Good luck with her

Barbara

@PD-Riverman Yes, thank you - we do realize not to have a sick chicken near our others and not to have a person caring for a sick chicken in contact with our others. The pullet was wormed before we got her - I should have mentioned that - but thanks for the suggestion.

The reason I say worm Now is if it is eat up with tape worms Its going to die unless you worm Now---unless its to Late. I have been here, spent the Money and the hours taking to the State lab to find out----yes it could be other things but if it is all bone's---light weight and If it was Mine I would not be here Typing now---I would be Worming for tape worms Now. Just saying Good Luck

Last edited:
@PD-Riverman Yes, thank you - we do realize not to have a sick chicken near our others and not to have a person caring for a sick chicken in contact with our others. The pullet was wormed before we got her - I should have mentioned that - but thanks for the suggestion.

What was it wormed with?? Wazine and similar will NOT touch a tape worm. Is this chicken real light?

@rebrascora - thank you for your advice. I do not suspect worms as the pullet was wormed before we got her - regular care from where she came from. We do have her isolated - I only care for her and do not go near our other girls. Is there a test for Marek's disease? It would be nice to rule that out. Thank you for the feeding advice! I will try that.

@PD-Riverman - I am not sure as we just got her, but I can ask. She is small and light, but she was not eating. She's shown improvement since we've had her. As precaution, I will have her poop tested - just to rule out. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom