Foot problems!?

Nichole1

Chirping
May 23, 2020
Hi everyone. So I have a chick here. He's about 3 weeks old give or take. He's been healthy. Eats sleeps and drinks like everyone else. Today I noticed he was spending a lot of time laying down( like, on his belly/chest) so I inspected him and found he has very swollen feet! They are hot and have blisters on them, full of clear fluid. This has developed within the last 48 hours I'd say. Does anyone know what might be causing this and how I can treat him?

Attachments

• 20210331_181251.jpg
    20210331_181251.jpg
    440.4 KB · Views: 7
Are any other chicks having similar issues? Could there be ants biting or something irritating the feet? What type of bedding are you using? Is there any wetness or soiling? I would think about placing the chick on clean towels for bedding. You might try soaking the feet in warm water, and applying some Vetericyn or antibiotic ointment to them after they are dry.

No one else has this problem, I use wood shavings as bedding and If I'm being honest the coop is a little damp ! Not dirty by any means, But we had a late spring snow storm yesterday and some snow blew in through the ventilation system. It isn't dirty tho just wet. I intend to clean it out completely tomorrow morning. I have brought him inside in a box with clean, dry bedding. I was thinking maybe I could do a foot soak in epsom salts to draw the fluid out?

I thought about Epsom salts, but suggested plain water in case that stung. But try it or mild salt water/saline, and see if it helps. Saline is 2 tsp of table salt added to a quart/liter of water.

I mixed a mild salt bath for him and he seems to be really enjoying it actually lol. Hopefully it helps

You mentioned a snow storm and some wetness in the coop; how cold did it get? I'm wondering if it was cold enough for frostbite that you caught really early. Back when my hen got frostbite on both of her feet I noticed it a day or two after it happened, and her feet were swollen and blistery, looking similar to your chick's feet. Though, I don't know if frostbitten feet would feel hot to the touch, even after thawing. I don't remember how my hen's feet felt.

Ah! Interesting idea. It was only like -14°C so I don't think frost bite? Unless he was standing in the pile of snow all night for some reason, I'm not sure.

Ah! Interesting idea. It was only like -14°C so I don't think frost bite? Unless he was standing in the pile of snow all night for some reason, I'm not sure.
-14°C is pretty cold, I would think cold enough for frostbite given the right conditions, and moisture makes for prime conditions. Maybe since he's a chick he didn't take measures to keep his feet warm like he should've, especially since he probably walked through the snow and got his feet wet. It's hard to say what he did exactly.

-14°C is pretty cold, I would think cold enough for frostbite given the right conditions, and moisture makes for prime conditions. Maybe since he's a chick he didn't take measures to keep his feet warm like he should've, especially since he probably walked through the snow and got his feet wet. It's hard to say what he did exactly.
After looking into it a bit more and the fact that its the tops of his feet and in his toes, not to bottoms. I think you might actually be right with the frostbite. I feel terrible now! Ive given him a relaxing toe soak with epsom salts and applied an antibiotic ointment. Hopefully he heals up

Back
Top Bottom