Foot swollen and full of fluid following leg fracture

NicJames

Chirping
May 22, 2017
Anchorage, Alaska
IMG_3956.JPG
IMG_3958.JPG
IMG_3959.JPG
Our chick broke her tibia 1 week ago and we were able to take her to the vet and get it splinted. She was doing well except that we had a hard time getting her to stay in her sling and I'm afraid she was re-injuring the leg trying to get out. We had to re wrap it once after it slid down from her pulling on it.
When I came home from work last night the leg looked a bit twisted and the foot very swollen with the toes splayed out when they hadn't been before. This all happened just while I was at work. There had been no swelling to the foot before this and she was actually starting to move her toes that morning. I can actually see serous fluid that oozes out in spots and when I press on the foot more fluid will come out. We figured out a better sling and taped her wings down and this has worked a lot better to keep her immobile.
I unwrapped the leg and then just very loosely rewrapped it up high only. She's still eating, drinking and chirping. What can I do to help the swelling and what do you think it means?

Back
Top Bottom