For Iajewel ( and anyone else who wants to see my scovies)

Quote:
But there is no "buff gene" in Muscovies....or is there? So what makes the "buff Muscovies" that you see advertised? The references I cited here yesterday used the name "Buff" for "Barred Chocolate" or "Rippled Chocolate" Muscovies. There is a buff gene for Mallard-derived breeds, but I haven't seen a reference to a buff-gene in Muscovies. If you're saying that solid non-barred and non-rippled "buff-colored" Muscovies are out there, then what are they genetically? Lavender-Chocolate? Lavender-Sepia? Silver-Sepia?

idunno.gif

Last edited:
The duck in the photo is a chocolate ripple. The name buff is trivial, it exists with out barring. The ripple or barring lightens the pattern but its not buff, its a ripple. What most call pastel, would be what you are calling buff.

Last edited:
So....then what does a "real" Buff Muscovy look like? And what is the genotype responsible for it? None of my sources (or your source) points to a "buff gene" in Muscovies, so I'm assuming it's a combination of two (or more) genes.

hu.gif

Last edited:
You need to just spend some time on Google or buy a book.
When I get my website done.. I will send you the link, other wise this is exosting.

You can call buff homozygous blue with chocolate buff ( or pastel) same with Lavander and Chocolate. People have many names for things, like horse colors.. so names are very confusing. I have that trouble too.

Quote:
I hear you. Like I said before, I think it's just easier and clearer to call them by what genes they express, rather than coming up with a new name for putting two different mutations together. When I hear "buff" I think that one gene causes the color. There's a "buff gene" in mallards so that makes sense. But using the name "buff" to refer to a Silver-Chocolate or Lavender-Chocolate is just confusing. And using Google and reading the books I bought is how I came upon seeing "buff" being used for barred-chocolates. What will we do when a true "buff" mutation occurs in Muscovies? What will it be called? See what I mean? There should be some standardization based on genotype, not phenotype.

hmm.png

There are new mutations being recognized everyday, however by the time all the data is in and all the work is done to prove it, Naming it isn't an issue. If I ever find a new color.. Im naming it the Jauson LOL.
lau.gif

You're awesome. nancy fell though. Called and said she didn't want to catch them and get up that early.. sooo.. ya.. thank you;.

Back
Top Bottom