FOR INFO PURPOSES: Humidity Drop After Water Addition After Lockdown

Smuvers Farm

Melvin Up the Taterhole
Feb 16, 2017
TN/Western KY Border
I have 3 faverolle eggs in my incubator. Put into lockdown on the 18th. Temp good, humidity at about 67%.

Last night, one pipped:

20180320_211455.jpg

Without my knowledge, my DH opened the incubator and filled it with water, simply because he said the sponges *looked dry*..... although I had JUST checked the humidity and it was good.

Now, the hygrometers are at 38% (approximately 6 hours after he lifted the lid and added water) and the pipping egg looks like this:

20180321_032552.jpg

The chickie IS alive and breathing and such, but the other 2 eggs aren't rocking around like they had been previously....

Last edited:
Added WARM water with a bendy straw and syringe through one of the holes to the sponges. Humidity instantly rose up to 60% and still climbing. Seven doesn't seem to be zipping, but pecking a hole into the shell.

Weird derp.

@Chickassan

Still nothing from Six and Mr. Nibbles (name of the other 2 eggs)

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about the ones that hadn't pipped externally. They will stop rocking once they are in position. I would probably have a spray bottle with warm water ready, and pull out that egg to open it up a bit and make sure it didn't shrink wrap in there. If the membranes dried out it won't be able to move to zip. You might need to moisten with coconut oil or something.

I wouldn't worry about the ones that hadn't pipped externally. They will stop rocking once they are in position. I would probably have a spray bottle with warm water ready, and pull out that egg to open it up a bit and make sure it didn't shrink wrap in there. If the membranes dried out it won't be able to move to zip. You might need to moisten with coconut oil or something.

I'm not worried. Not my first time at the incubating rodeo as they say! I am posting this for informational purposes. Lockdown means lockdown! :) Hubby opened the perfectly humid incubator for no other reason than the sponges *looked dry*, which then caused a DROP in humidity.

Also, I don't think a spray bottle of water would be of use, as it could accidentally get water on the eggs which, in turn, would cause more evaporation. Plus, a spray bottle would require opening the incubator, which is what caused the problem in the first place.

Thank you for your input though.

Back
Top Bottom