For the clever (or experienced)

Thanks all for the welcome. I appreciate every comment.

I think I should restructure my question into more "answerable" questions :)

Based on a multipurpose chicken (if I can call them that??):

1. How long for eggs to hatch?
2. How long before chickens lay eggs?
3. How long do they lay eggs?
4. How long before ready to eat?
5. How much space per chicken?
6. Any other info that will help.

Thanks again!

Ok, with a bit more research I've come up with this solution. What do you guys think? Is it fairly accurate?

For 1 person eating 14 eggs and 1 chicken per week:

Based on 4 hens laying approx. 16 eggs per week. That leaves 2 eggs to hatch per week.

Phase 1 (The Setup Phase) - 14 weeks
In this phase no chickens are eaten. Only 14 eggs per week.

Phase 2 (Self Sustainable Phase) week 15+
Now 1/2 eggs from week 1 are ready to eat (3 weeks to hatch + 11 weeks to grow) and every week onwards the same. You'll on average have 1 extra chicken per week (to sell, eat, grow to maturity for extra eggs, etc.)

Does this seem accurate enough? Your thoughts please.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the welcome. I appreciate every comment.

I think I should restructure my question into more "answerable" questions :)

Based on a multipurpose chicken (if I can call them that??):

1. How long for eggs to hatch?
2. How long before chickens lay eggs?
3. How long do they lay eggs?
4. How long before ready to eat?
5. How much space per chicken?
6. Any other info that will help.

Thanks again!

1. 21 days to hatch, give or take a little. You need to set at least three eggs at a time to be safe because not all eggs will hatch and chicks need company.

2. Most pullets begin laying at six months; however it can take longer or they could lay early. A lot depends on the breed, environment and individual. No two chickens are the same.

3. I have four year old hens still laying well. But again, a lot depends on breed, environment and individual. A lot of egg laying hybrids or breeds are burned out by two or three years old. Some chickens will still be laying at five just not so much.

4. For the average cockerel that isn't a meatie, think six months old or so. For a CX, they can be butchered by seven weeks, but you can't easily breed those.

5. The rule of thumb is 4 sq ft per chicken in the coop and 10 in the run but I don't really believe there is a magic number. The more space the better.

6. Not all eggs hatch, not all chickens live, and not all goes according to your plan. You might set two eggs out of every 16 but don't expect them to hatch. Always plan for more than you think you need.

Back
Top Bottom