For the MINIMALISTS - those who think less is more in chicken keeping - Please help

Pics
If I were you, I would be more interested in a self-watering system than a huge food station if you can solve the algae issue. If our coop were close enough to a tap, I would try to do one of those where the garden hose hooks up to a pipe with nipple waterers for the summer. But alas, not an option for us so we have to tote water 😵‍💫.

For food, it really isn’t a big deal to put a large secure metal trash can somewhere on the way to the coop and park your empty feeders next to it at night and then in the morning fill them and hang them for the chickens. Or a little bucket if you prefer to leave the feeders hanging and tote a bucket back and forth. You have to go get eggs anyway, right?

You can also use cayenne or other hot pepper powders in the feed to make it less attractive to rodents.

In general, I totally agree with others who mentioned having multiples of things. Sometimes you’ll have a bully hen who decides she doesn’t want to share. Having 2 feeders and 2 water spots solves that.

I also recommend adding a couple hiding spots like a pallet lean-to in the run. If the bullied hen can get out of sight (but NOT trapped in a dead-end), that usually ends the fight. Similarly having multiple perches in the coop and run can allow hens to get a bit more space from each other.

I wouldn’t stress too much though. Most things are easy to change and not super expensive, so if you try one and hate it you can change it. If you try pine needles or raked leaves and don’t like it, easy enough to rake most of them out and grab a bale or two of straw or some pine chips.

The main decision to make right now it sounds like is interior vs exterior space, which I think depends on your weather and if you are willing to add panels to the run in the winter if they need more draft-free space then.

It may sound like a lot, but with the deep bedding/litter method, you periodically assess and add some bedding (maybe check it each weekend), and top off water and bring out/open the food each day. It’s similar to having cats - mostly feeding them, little bit of cleaning.

You can always get covers for the pvc ports on your garbage can feeder & put those on at night instead of having to move it. I leave my port feeder out at night & do not have an issue with rodents getting to the feed. I did have an issue once when I left out a gravity feeder on a cinder block for a segregated sick chicken so they are around, I think the port feeder is just too slippery or too much work for them to bother with. Everyones critters are different so see what works best for you.

Now the bear that broke through the fence, he knocked over the port feeder but didn’t enjoy the feed, he wanted the birds instead so he didn’t really bother with it either.
Oh wow, a bear. That's really a shame. It must have been a massacre.

Maybe it will be okay since the part where they eat from is not on the ground? I wonder if I could move it up higher and it still be okay for the chickens. Hmm...

You have given me some really great suggestions with the coop, run, and now the food. Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• Feeder2.JPG
    Feeder2.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 5
If I were you, I would be more interested in a self-watering system than a huge food station if you can solve the algae issue. If our coop were close enough to a tap, I would try to do one of those where the garden hose hooks up to a pipe with nipple waterers for the summer. But alas, not an option for us so we have to tote water 😵‍💫.
I feel like I conquered a plan for the coop and run bedding/litter amen, thanks to you amazing people. I went directly to the water situation next. I have been doing some research. Please chime in with your thoughts. I don't think we can use a hose in the winter. But I think we can do a rain water collection system. I think the biggest problems with that are algae, bacteria and parasites.

Option 1: Collect rain as it drops which would be good because it won't be hitting the roof then the gutter picking up junk. But then we have to screen the whole top of the barrel to connect enough rain water but also strain the leaves and debris. That makes me nervous because of the bird poop and mosquito situation.

Option 2: Use the gutter system which requires only a very small opening in the top of the barrel since water is pouring directly in. This would also have a strainer but then you have to deal with the junk from the roof and gutters.

With regard to algae, I've read that if I use a dark colored barrel and keep it in the shade, it would be okay. Some barrels are resistant to algae, mold, mildew etc, although I wouldn't trust this solely. This would help keep the water cool in the summer, as well. My husband and I also discussed using a pump so the water is constantly moving which would prevent it from freezing in the winter and ward off bugs, as well as prevent algae. The pump could be set so that it goes on at a certain temperature but it may be useful to keep it running all the time.

Regarding the bacteria and parasites, I'm sure there is something we could put in the water to help. Maybe vinegar or something else? I gotten up to this part in my research.

For food, it really isn’t a big deal to put a large secure metal trash can somewhere on the way to the coop and park your empty feeders next to it at night and then in the morning fill them and hang them for the chickens. Or a little bucket if you prefer to leave the feeders hanging and tote a bucket back and forth. You have to go get eggs anyway, right?
Right, yes. I keep forgetting about the egg part :)

You can also use cayenne or other hot pepper powders in the feed to make it less attractive to rodents.
Tell me more about the spices? I like this idea a lot. The chickens don't mind this?

In general, I totally agree with others who mentioned having multiples of things. Sometimes you’ll have a bully hen who decides she doesn’t want to share. Having 2 feeders and 2 water spots solves that.
So if I do a pvc water situation with 5 nipples, are you saying to have a second one of those?

If I do the trash can method with 5 feeders, it's good to have another trash can or feeder also?

I also recommend adding a couple hiding spots like a pallet lean-to in the run. If the bullied hen can get out of sight (but NOT trapped in a dead-end), that usually ends the fight. Similarly having multiple perches in the coop and run can allow hens to get a bit more space from each other.
These are really awesome ideas. Chickens are like cats, which we have a lot of experience with. Cats like lots of exits. Does the bullying normally happen even with mild breeds? I specifically chose calm chickens.

We will have two 11' long perches in the run and one 9' long perch in the coop. Do you think this is sufficient?

I wouldn’t stress too much though. Most things are easy to change and not super expensive, so if you try one and hate it you can change it. If you try pine needles or raked leaves and don’t like it, easy enough to rake most of them out and grab a bale or two of straw or some pine chips.
Right yes, nothing is set in stone. Thanks for the reminder.

The main decision to make right now it sounds like is interior vs exterior space, which I think depends on your weather and if you are willing to add panels to the run in the winter if they need more draft-free space then.

It may sound like a lot, but with the deep bedding/litter method, you periodically assess and add some bedding (maybe check it each weekend), and top off water and bring out/open the food each day. It’s similar to having cats - mostly feeding them, little bit of cleaning.
So funny. I didn't see this part about cats when I mentioned it above. Chickens always have reminded me of cats which is why I think I am drawn to them. They seem gentle but can be feisty. Not unlike myself at times :)

5 hens are super easy to care for. I had 5 once and then decided i needed more poop in my life so I'm back up to 9.
Chickens are very forgiving of all of us who were first timers, so dont worry too much.
Your doing your research and learning BEFORE you get your girls. That is huge.

I do want to add a silkie already which wasn't available when I placed my order. Since then I've found someone who has them. Oh what to do. I hear they aren't always very nice though and I ordered mild mannered breeds. I really appreciate the encouragement, thanks so much KyCoop. Anything else you've got, please send my way.

Yes. I decided against sand - sounded too much like having permanent litter in a litter box that I just scooped and scooped but never changed the litter 🤢. I think it works ok for dry climates and people who are fastidious, but not for me!

Deep litter/bedding works well for me. And I figure it is closer to nature - animals poop in the woods and leaves cover it up and it turns to compost. As long as your chickens have enough space, it doesn’t build up too much.
This is a very good point. It is closer to nature for them.

I actually have found my favorite material for the run is last fall’s dead leaves. I use pine shavings in the nesting boxes, where it is more of a “deep bedding” situation. I dump that into the run as needed where it turns to “deep litter” and decomposes with the leaves. Never had an issue with smell.
So you're doing dead leaves in the run. I'll have to try this come fall. By then hopefully I'll have sorted some of this out. It sounds like a lot of people dump the coop and nesting box material into the run when they're ready to restock. Got it.

I would recommend considering your winters? I live in the south-south, so I actually have more of an aviary than a traditional coop/run (2 solid sides, 2 hardware cloth), and only have to tarp it for a couple nights per year. Where you are, you may want to integrate into your design and plan a way to screw on clear polycarbonate roofing panels to close up the bottom 2/3 of the run walls in winter. Depends on your breeds and typical winters, but an idea to consider. Also makes it more pleasant to hang out with them in the run in winter Ive heard.
I'm in NJ so we get a balance of all seasons I would say. We got zero snow this year. Usually we get 1 or 2 mind storms.

My breeds are:
1 Dark Brahma
2 Easter Eggers
1 Cream Legbar
1 Olive Egger
Hopefully a silkie one day

What do you think?

Again, this is just what I’ve seen others do. 🤷‍♀️

Oh - since your run is secure and the coop will be open to it 24/7, I would also add a roost out there. Some chickens like “camping” out there, and it creates space for them to spread out if someone is mad at someone else.
There are two 11'w roost bars. "someone is mad at someone else" - hysterical. Photo included.

I also 2nd the recommendation for two pop doors, one on each end. We had a chicken corner another one once…it was awful. So now, no dead ends!
Okay, we can account for this in our plans, thank you. We also have to change extending the lip up 12" to accomodate for the deep bedding. Photo attached. Do you think 12" is enough?

Attachments

• HH5.JPG
    HH5.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 5
  • HH6.JPG
    HH6.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 4
Welcome to BYC! I also did a lot of reading before chickens and found this forum to be really helpful.
I've only been on it for a few days and I've learned an incredible amount. I'm grateful.

I have a small flock (will be four in the spring, two currently) and I love the deep bedding for the coop. I use shredded newspapers and paper personally, mixed with a little bit of small wood chips from a local wood turner. It's great and never stinks.
Cool. I like the idea of using what's available around your home and property. Do you just shred up your mail and such to use?

I turn the bedding over maybe once a week with a stick just under the roost since that's where they poop most.
It sounds like we've got kind of a similar setup since we've got small flocks. How long would you say this takes you?

I have deep litter in my covered run, it's amazing. I started with just a thick layer of coarse woodchips last summer and now, after winter and weather and adding bags of dry leaves throughout the winter - combined with chicken's poop it's turned into the most fantastic rich compost. I will be shovelling it out early in April to start the run over again, and putting compost on nitrogen loving areas of my garden. My run is covered but does get some moisture from snow and rain blowing in, so it composted very well but never stayed wet. Having spare bags of leaves in storage was great for me to toss in there during inclement weather.
Thanks so much for sharing the details of your "operation." It gives me a better picture of what to expect.

I think cedar is the main one to avoid.

I just rake up my yard and use that as my “deep litter.” Mix of all different thinks - maple, hickory, oak, etc. If it were pine needles, I’d use those too 🤷‍♀️.

As long as they have enough good food and aren’t too bored, chickens seem to avoid what is bad for them. Pretty sure our yard came with a couple toxic shrubs and they haven’t died. That said, “free ranging” in a 1/4 acre fenced yard is different than a teeny run. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

Okay, so I've been thinking way too hard. Just use what is dry?

It's nice they can free range. We have a space around our structure than is mostly fenced. If we stick another fence piece in, we can make it secure. We do have a hawk that flies around. How concerned should I be? Can I let them out for a couple hours and go in the house or do they need to be watched and defended?

Back
Top Bottom