For the MINIMALISTS - those who think less is more in chicken keeping - Please help

Pics
Not a Silkie that can't fly. They can jump better than some people give them credit for but they are still limited. A step might be enough.

You are going to find that chicken TV is better than anything on cable, satellite, or antenna.
Totally. Chicken TV is completely addictive. The more jumping up and under and through things you give them the more fun is had by all!
@GetFitWithKrista - I don't know about non-flying Silkies, but most chickens prefer to hop or fly up onto something rather than through a pop door. Not to say they couldn't do that, but they would prefer not to. So if you are going to not even give them a step you should give them a landing place just outside the door - like a shelf maybe. Same applies to elevated nest boxes, good to supply something they can jump up on to before going in.

Totally. Chicken TV is completely addictive. The more jumping up and under and through things you give them the more fun is had by all!
@GetFitWithKrista - I don't know about non-flying Silkies, but most chickens prefer to hop or fly up onto something rather than through a pop door. Not to say they couldn't do that, but they would prefer not to. So if you are going to not even give them a step you should give them a landing place just outside the door - like a shelf maybe. Same applies to elevated nest boxes, good to supply something they can jump up on to before going in.
I think I'm going to start with the ladder that the plan suggests and if that is a problem, I'll figure out another solution.

I included a photo of the nest boxes. We're going to have to account for 12" to accommodate the deep bedding but it will be about the same with the bedding. Will they be okay getting into the top boxes? Would they get in from the roost bar?

Attachments

• il_794xN.1130412833_nt0i.jpg
    il_794xN.1130412833_nt0i.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I think I'm going to start with the ladder that the plans suggests and if that is a problem, I'll figure out another solution.

I included a photo of the nest boxes. We're going to have to account for 12" to accommodate the deep bedding but it will be about the same with the bedding. Will they be okay getting into the top boxes? Would they get in from the roost bar?
I would say probably yes they would.
What is the top of the nest boxes because that looks like it is higher than the roost bar, so unless it has a sharp slope they will want to get up there to roost.

What is the top of the nest boxes because that looks like it is higher than the roost bar, so unless it has a sharp slope they will want to get up there to roost.
Good point. If your roost isn’t significantly higher than the nest boxes, sometimes they sleep IN them as well. Then you get poopy eggs.

There is already a ton of great suggestions. The only thing that I have to add is a coop bedding material choice. I have been using corn cob bedding for deep bedding in my coops. For over a decade now. Being a byproduct it is cheaper than shavings and is an easier renewable resource. Unlike shavings it does not interlock and pack down. Even if it gets wet. It is also lighter than shavings. Which all adds up to easier shoveling/scooping. When it is time to clean the coops. It draws the moisture out of the manure and the manure becomes a powder. So it reduces the amount of bedding that I have to add. Which takes less room and extends the length between cleanings. It also takes less time to break down in a composting system. You can add more volume to a container. if you are in a situation where composting is not an option. Making it more desirable to those that are willing to take it off your hands.

There is no slope. Although I think it looks that way in the photo. I think that's just the angle they took it. There are 2 nest boxes on top and 2 on the bottom. Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, we discussed closing off 2 of the nest boxes, leaving 2 open, while we only have 5 hens. Thoughts?

There is already a ton of great suggestions. The only thing that I have to add is a coop bedding material choice. I have been using corn cob bedding for deep bedding in my coops. For over a decade now. Being a byproduct it is cheaper than shavings and is an easier renewable resource. Unlike shavings it does not interlock and pack down. Even if it gets wet. It is also lighter than shavings. Which all adds up to easier shoveling/scooping. When it is time to clean the coops. It draws the moisture out of the manure and the manure becomes a powder. So it reduces the amount of bedding that I have to add. Which takes less room and extends the length between cleanings. It also takes less time to break down in a composting system. You can add more volume to a container. if you are in a situation where composting is not an option. Making it more desirable to those that are willing to take it off your hands.
This sounds like a dream. Could you possibly send a link to the material so I can look for it? Have you used straw or other bedding before? Thanks a lot for this suggestion.

There is no slope. Although I think it looks that way in the photo. I think that's just the angle they took it. There are 2 nest boxes on top and 2 on the bottom. Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, we discussed closing off 2 of the nest boxes, leaving 2 open, while we only have 5 hens. Thoughts?
Sorry. I wasn’t clear.
I couldn’t see the top. I was just warning you that if they can get on top and it is higher than the roost bar, then they will sleep on top of the boxes.
And as @AmeliaBedelia pounted out some might sleep in the nest boxes.

Back
Top Bottom