For the MINIMALISTS - those who think less is more in chicken keeping - Please help

Pics
Long straw may pack and/or mat depending on circumstances, especially if it gets wet.

Likewise for fall leaves.

Throwing some scratch into the bedding encourages the chickens to dig it up, but sometimes it's necessary to toss it around with a pitchfork. That takes about 10-15 minutes depending on how big an area it is and if I'm just stirring it a little or really throwing it around.

If you're putting it into the run it doesn't need to be dry.

I personally wouldn't put it into my garage because it's probably full of yummy, protein-rich, mobile chicken snacks.
This is pine straw which doesn’t have as much and it is going inside the coop.
I have a massive coop and lots of ventilation so I have a too dry rather than too wet situation but I still avoid damp bedding. Probably I will put it in today so it may still be damp. I needed a break after collecting it and the garage was quick and simple.
In the run I put mainly leaves and those are ina. Big outdoor heap so often damp as you can see in the video I just posted in this thread.

Another time study: scooping the poop.

I only have to clean the poop board. It looks like this:
IMG_0864.JPG

From putting on my coop shoes in the mudroom to getting back into the mudroom: 4 minutes.

Last time study: Chickie snack.
From going to the mudroom to get the pans and feed to back into the mudroom: 5 minutes.

I think my total is 20..? 7+4+4+5

I have to say, I usually spend more time in the run when I do chickie snack. I talk to them, and I pick up the stones they've scratched up out of the dirt. So, add on another 5 minutes or so.

There are times in the warmer months when I take a book or cup of coffee and sit out there with them. It's a pleasant place to be, and they are entertaining.

I have two different routines, my before-work routine and my day off routine (I work 3 days a week).

Before work:
  • Put on muck boots.
  • Go down to the big coop, take the carabiners off the door into the run and flip the latches over but don't open it.
  • Go to the other door, open up and go into the coop, open the run door from the inside and prop it.
  • Wade back through the rush of chickens going out to check feed and water, which *should* be fine.
  • Give the place a quick eye and leave, fastening the door behind me.
  • If I have chicks in the brooder, tend them, making wet mash, replenishing the feed, and giving them clean water.
  • If I have birds in Camp Cockerel, cast an eye on them, checking feed and water, which *should* be fine.
Day Off:
  • Put on muck boots.
  • Turn hose on at the house.
  • Repeat opening operation for the big coop.
  • Fill both nipple waterers and the open bucket in the run (I need to make a couple more nipple waterers).
  • Fill all feeders, which are large enough to last at least 2 days.
  • Have a look at the nests, picking up any early eggs and tidying up any messes.
  • Check oystershell container and fill if necessary.
  • Tend chicks as above if I have chicks.
  • Fill feeder and waterer in Camp Cockerel if it's inhabited.
At dusk, any day:
  • Make sure all birds are back in the coop.
  • Collect eggs.
  • Close and secure both doors.
  • Check a couple birds off the roost for potential problems -- getting around to all the birds once a month or so.
From time to time as needed:
  • Throw litter back uphill because it works downhill.
  • Add additional litter.
  • Shovel out some of the litter to finish composting before using on the garden.
  • Move the poultry netting fence to allow access to fresh green stuff.
  • Spend time sitting in the door of the brooder to help chicks overcome their fear of people.
I can do the before work list in 5 minutes if I don't have chicks or birds in Camp Cockerel. 10 minutes for the minimum check on all three.

The day off list takes less than half an hour even for all 3 sections and even allowing for socializing with the birds.
Ah, awesome. It gives me a good idea of what day to day care is like.

I know they all have different personalities but are chicken generally okay with being picked up. We have 2 cats and they are only okay with me picking them up and only on their terms. I feel badly for my son. He can't really engage with them. I'm hoping he'll be able to hold the chickens and they'll like him.

I wish I could have raised them as babies but I thought that might be too overwhelming for us since it's our first time caring for them and we need to focus on building their home.

I know they all have different personalities but are chicken generally okay with being picked up. We have 2 cats and they are only okay with me picking them up and only on their terms. I feel badly for my son. He can't really engage with them. I'm hoping he'll be able to hold the chickens and they'll like him.

I wish I could have raised them as babies but I thought that might be too overwhelming for us since it's our first time caring for them and we need to focus on building their home.
Like cats, some do and some don't.
Also, a bit like cats, they seem to enjoy our company even if they don't want to be cuddled. Right now I don't have any that want to be lap chickens but I can barely take two steps without them being all around me and if I sit outside they come and nap at (or on) my feet.

Long straw may pack and/or mat depending on circumstances, especially if it gets wet.

Likewise for fall leaves.

Throwing some scratch into the bedding encourages the chickens to dig it up, but sometimes it's necessary to toss it around with a pitchfork. That takes about 10-15 minutes depending on how big an area it is and if I'm just stirring it a little or really throwing it around.

If you're putting it into the run it doesn't need to be dry.

I personally wouldn't put it into my garage because it's probably full of yummy, protein-rich, mobile chicken snacks.
Pardon my dumb-ass-ness but long straw as opposed to short straw?

I know they all have different personalities but are chicken generally okay with being picked up.

Not many chickens liked to be picked up, but you do get one now and then.

The thing is that as prey animals they are more likely to associate being picked up with being restrained in the claws of a predator than with being cuddled by loving family.

But even though I don't raise my to be particularly tame, mine do crowd around my feet and follow me around.

Pardon my dumb-ass-ness but long straw as opposed to short straw?

Long straw as baled.

There is also chopped straw that's sold in bags -- mainly for use when seeding grass, I think. But some people like it as animal bedding.

None of mine loved being picked up, and all would run if someone ran towards them, but I could calmly walk up and pick up all but my easter egger. And all of them would voluntarily hop up in my lap if I sat down to get pet - they just wanted it to be on their terms.

I think part of the difference with our easter egger is we got her at about 8 or 9 weeks and she wasn’t played with a ton by the lady we got her from. She was just buying lots of chicks to raise and sell 🤷‍♀️.

So part of it will be having your son around a lot when they are little being kind and gentle and feeding them. Chickens do seem to recognize individuals so they will be friendlier with him if they know and trust him from when they were young. Our friendliest was an orpington we raised from day-old. The cuckoo marans we got at 4 or 5 weeks were close.

Back
Top Bottom