For the new folks that haven't experienced a molt yet.

Pics
Quote:
Yup, I would have had the vet out for sure if I saw that!! Thank you for forewaring me!!!

What kind of chicken is she? She is very pretty even with her feathers missing. Would her breed be suitable for cold winters and being free range? Not too flighty? Thank you!!

Opps, I see that you said what breed she is.

She's not leghorn flighty, but not a cuddly chicken either, so kind of in between. She is a terrific foraged, so she would be great for free ranging.

Oh thank you!! They sound like my kind of chicken, leghorns are too flighty but I don't want something too cuddly. Her breed sounds like how my RIR and Barred Rocks act. Would that breed do well in cold winters?

Quote:
She's not leghorn flighty, but not a cuddly chicken either, so kind of in between. She is a terrific foraged, so she would be great for free ranging.

Oh thank you!! They sound like my kind of chicken, leghorns are too flighty but I don't want something too cuddly. Her breed sounds like how my RIR and Barred Rocks act. Would that breed do well in cold winters?

Males would probably not do well in a cold climate- their combs are huge. With the coronation comb, they would be at risk for frostbite. My girl has never had an issue with frostbite (my welsummer rooster has though), but I'm in a relatively temperate area. (compared to most other states
lol.png
) If you are just looking at females, they might work for you.

You could always post a question for those that have Sicilian buttercups and how well they tolerate the cold weather.
smile.png

Thanks for the picture.
Mine are all production quality from hatcheries. They are fed whole grains (wheats, sunflower, sesame, quino, peas, lentil, flax, etc. etc.) with commercial feed, egg/oyster shell free choice, "free-range" in a small city-lot.
Three ~26 week old pullets just started laying, one ~13 month gal is laying, my 11 month old production red had stopped about 3-4 weeks ago however. Her comb and wattle still bright red but a bit shriveled. I noticed feathers here and there and she looks ragged, a bit depressed it seems, isolate herself, go back to coop early, eating a bit less, a bit less aggressive, not nearly has loud (was the alpha hen). I thought she is molting but dun see pin feathers as pictured by others. Her vent area also lost a bit of feather. So i am a bit concerned if she has other conditions.

Quote:

Thanks for the mild molting picture. Mine does not look like that. I didnt noticed significant pin feathers on necks and she seems to have lost feather everywhere, but in a mild way.

Quote:

Quote:

Males would probably not do well in a cold climate- their combs are huge. With the coronation comb, they would be at risk for frostbite. My girl has never had an issue with frostbite (my welsummer rooster has though), but I'm in a relatively temperate area. (compared to most other states
lol.png
) If you are just looking at females, they might work for you.

You could always post a question for those that have Sicilian buttercups and how well they tolerate the cold weather.
smile.png

Thank you, I will go ask now!

I'm a newbie (DH has more experience, but, he's been off the chicken scene for a little while) and I'm wondering if there's a predictable pattern to when they molt. Will they all molt around the same time?

Mine are 9 months and I only have one that is molting. I was not sure that was what it was until I came on here and started looking this morning. She is only molting on her head and neck which I thought was strange but I have found a few more pics like hers on here today. Here is what she looks like as of yesterday.

82702_img_0537.jpg

82702_img_0533.jpg

82702_img_0530.jpg

Is it possible to have a molt and still have them laying eggs? I have two chickens that are loosing their feathers on their back in front of their tail feathers but I'm still getting eggs everyday. I thought somehow maybe something got to them but I have another that looks like it may be starting to loose feathers too.

Do you have a rooster? If you do, your hens losing feathers on her back towards her tail can indicate your roo is doing the damage. One of my roos especially like a particular hen and he removed all her feathers in that area. Had to get her a chicken apron to stop the damage, as she could have gotten bugs on the open skin and eventually killed her. Or, get rid of the roo...that's what I did. All my girls were soooooooooooooo much happier when he was gone!!!!!

Last edited:
Maybe someone here would be able to tell me if they have seen this behavior with a hen when she is molting...One of my Silkie hens was picking up hay and putting it on her back! At first glance, I thought she was trying to get a piece of hay OFF of her back and so, like a nice chicken mommy, I took it off for her. I'm not sure, but I think she gave me a dirty look!!
lol.png
The silly girl kept picking up pieces of hay and putting it on her back. I picked her up and looked her over really well. I could tell she was molting a bit but there were no critters on her so I put her back down and gave her more hay to make it easier on her. Is this something anyone has ever seen before??

Quote:
Maybe someone here would be able to tell me if they have seen this behavior with a hen when she is molting...One of my Silkie hens was picking up hay and putting it on her back! At first glance, I thought she was trying to get a piece of hay OFF of her back and so, like a nice chicken mommy, I took it off for her. I'm not sure, but I think she gave me a dirty look!!
lol.png
The silly girl kept picking up pieces of hay and putting it on her back. I picked her up and looked her over really well. I could tell she was molting a bit but there were no critters on her so I put her back down and gave her more hay to make it easier on her. Is this something anyone has ever seen before??

My girls do that when they are in the nest box getting ready to lay. They move one tiny little piece at at time and put some on their backs while they are getting situated in the nest.

Back
Top Bottom