For the new folks that haven't experienced a molt yet.

Pics
Quote:
Maybe your parents got rid of them before they went into their molt. Lots of farmers do. It's not worth while (in their opinion) to feed hens that are not producing. Even for a little while.

Nope. Got rid of the roos, yes. (We had a little bantam that kept EVERYONE in line!!) but we were softies. We had several hens that lived to be ancient and only laid once a week tops. Including an evil Wyandotte I named Lacey that just got more wicked the older she got--I still carry the scar on my hand from her--none of them ever had a hard molt, and excepting the Methusalahs of the flock, none of them ever had egg-production affected.

That's why I wondered if free-ranging made a difference in the molt.

Quote:
Yours won't molt until next year.

I've had some go through a very mild molt at 9 months, but most of the time they don't molt until they are over a year old.

No they weren't laying. And I didn't snap a picture of them, but they looked raggedy. I think I still have 1 pullet up there that hasn't feathered back in, I'll see if I can get a picture.

Quote:
Maybe your parents got rid of them before they went into their molt. Lots of farmers do. It's not worth while (in their opinion) to feed hens that are not producing. Even for a little while.

Nope. Got rid of the roos, yes. (We had a little bantam that kept EVERYONE in line!!) but we were softies. We had several hens that lived to be ancient and only laid once a week tops. Including an evil Wyandotte I named Lacey that just got more wicked the older she got--I still carry the scar on my hand from her--none of them ever had a hard molt, and excepting the Methusalahs of the flock, none of them ever had egg-production affected.

That's why I wondered if free-ranging made a difference in the molt.

It would help, that's for sure. If they can maintain enough protein. Hens quit laying because it requires so much protein to regrow feathers. (feathers are somewhere around 90% protein)

68634_dsc_0045.jpg

68634_molt1.jpg

They are only molting around their necks right now...the last two are in the final stages and feathers are growing back already

68634_dsc_0040.jpg

68634_dsc_0044.jpg

a few of my girls going through mild molts...

Is it possible to have a molt and still have them laying eggs? I have two chickens that are loosing their feathers on their back in front of their tail feathers but I'm still getting eggs everyday. I thought somehow maybe something got to them but I have another that looks like it may be starting to loose feathers too.

Do you have a rooster? If you do, your hens losing feathers on her back towards her tail can indicate your roo is doing the damage. One of my roos especially like a particular hen and he removed all her feathers in that area. Had to get her a chicken apron to stop the damage, as she could have gotten bugs on the open skin and eventually killed her. Or, get rid of the roo...that's what I did. All my girls were soooooooooooooo much happier when he was gone!!!!!

Quote:
Yup, I would have had the vet out for sure if I saw that!! Thank you for forewaring me!!!

What kind of chicken is she? She is very pretty even with her feathers missing. Would her breed be suitable for cold winters and being free range? Not too flighty? Thank you!!

Opps, I see that you said what breed she is.

Last edited:
Quote:
I can't tell if the ones molting are still laying...they are only 39 weeks, so this is a mild molt for mine and my first year with hens...
I thought they didn't continue to lay, but all my girls are losing are around their necks, and my egg production is down anyhow, I don't add light to my
coop for the winter.

**great work with the roo...I have a friend with BO, has several with bar backs, to the point of almost bleeding..would not separate them from the roo or
get rid of him...poor things!

Quote:
Yup, I would have had the vet out for sure if I saw that!! Thank you for forewaring me!!!

What kind of chicken is she? She is very pretty even with her feathers missing. Would her breed be suitable for cold winters and being free range? Not too flighty? Thank you!!

Opps, I see that you said what breed she is.

She's not leghorn flighty, but not a cuddly chicken either, so kind of in between. She is a terrific foraged, so she would be great for free ranging.

Back
Top Bottom