For the new folks that haven't experienced a molt yet.

Pics
great post! My two year old Austrolorp had a HARD hard molt like that just this year( her molts before were not this dramatic). I was on here researching if she had mites or what, I had even contimplated culling her becuase I really thought she was sick, she looked terrible. Anyway, my dad suggested I wait and see what the molt revealed, and sure enough, no illness no mites no nothing- she was just molting, but it was so alarming!
Thanks for posting!

Maybe someone here would be able to tell me if they have seen this behavior with a hen when she is molting...One of my Silkie hens was picking up hay and putting it on her back! At first glance, I thought she was trying to get a piece of hay OFF of her back and so, like a nice chicken mommy, I took it off for her. I'm not sure, but I think she gave me a dirty look!!
lol.png
The silly girl kept picking up pieces of hay and putting it on her back. I picked her up and looked her over really well. I could tell she was molting a bit but there were no critters on her so I put her back down and gave her more hay to make it easier on her. Is this something anyone has ever seen before??

That's nesting behavior.

As an update for you all, it's been 4 months now and this hen is still molting. Her comb has brightened back up and her body feathers are grown in, but she is finishing molting her hackle feathers.

I hope she starts laying again soon - I could really use the eggs.

hi thanks for sharing with me. when is the best time to do it.? i dont think my chickens have molted then.i have some that are two and 1 years.some lay some dont. someone told me to put rock food in and make sure lights are off so they are in the dark is this right?u can tell iam a rookie lol.well thanks for help.
lisa

hi thanks for sharing with me. when is the best time to do it.? i dont think my chickens have molted then.i have some that are two and 1 years.some lay some dont. someone told me to put rock food in and make sure lights are off so they are in the dark is this right?u can tell iam a rookie lol.well thanks for help.
lisa

I'm not sure I'm understanding your question correctly, but you don't have to "do" anything. They will molt naturally on their own when their bodies are ready. You'll know because it will look like a feather pillow exploded in your run.

Here are this year's contender's for the worst molt:

My original hatchery BR, getting herself oven ready:

And of course, my buttercup again. Buttercups look positively horrid when they molt. She just started molting, so she may get worse.

Last edited:
Glad I found this thread!

Someone asked a question a little earlier, wondering if their chicken's symptoms were due to moulting or if it was something else. I've had that same issue with our moulting chicken.

In addition to moulting she's quieter, not eating as much, goes to bed earlier, and just seems uncomfortable. Till she started moulting she was extremely healthy and busy. I'm really hoping that's all it is.

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your expertise!

Back
Top Bottom