For those of you who ship eggs--PO trouble??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hooterville, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Hooterville

Hooterville Chillin' With My Peeps

I went to the PO to ship my very first eggs. I was told that they couldn't ship anything "live" from the 261-- area code. What? [​IMG]
    I told her that technically hatching eggs were not really live until they start incubating.

Well after several phone calls to supervisors and discussion about what is live or not, she did finally allow me to ship my eggs.

Has anyone who ships eggs ever run across this problem??

She would never have known there were eggs in that box had it not been written on the outside! [​IMG]

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Some people heh at least she was trying to do her job. Im glad they finally let you do it.
    I know there are some people that put fragil and caution and stuff on there without specifying hatching eggs I dont know if thats better or worse or the same though.

3. Jeff9118

Jeff9118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Greenup KY
    I think the employee is just ingnorant on the specifics of the rules and policies and probaly needs better training. I had a similar thing happen once and the postal worker even tried to back it up with saying they have recieved shipping eggs in that were hatching in the box when they got them. I didnt bother to correct her as there was no real issue with shipping them.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  4. Clay In Iowa

Clay In Iowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    WOW don't try to ship seeds b/c they are alive as well. [​IMG]

5. Jeff9118

Jeff9118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Greenup KY
    Seeds would probaly be more likley to hatch in the box.

6. Sooner

Sooner My kids Mom!

Mar 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    That is interesting, I have had live chicks shipped to me! Glad you got them shipped!

7. Hooterville

Hooterville Chillin' With My Peeps

Yea, it was sort of funny! I almost felt like I was going to have to debate the whole "when does life begin" issue. [​IMG]

She said that they were allowed to receive live things but they weren't allowed to ship live things. I guess shipping chicks is out then.

She wasn't grouchy or anything--just wanted to be sure I suppose.

These days everyone's doing their best--trying to keep their job!

8. Sooner

Sooner My kids Mom!

Mar 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Why would it matter if you were shipping or recieving? Either way they are coming or going?!

Glad she was nice about it.

9. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

If you live in a particular area, sometimes live's can't be shipped. This is especially true if you live a long way away from a major airport. However if you shouldn't have a problem shipping eggs. Sounds like a case of an uninformed postal employee. I dont think the issue of shipping birds/eggs has come up in a while. I remember a few years ago when the postal servie was thinking of changing their rules, and them not shipping lives at all was ALL anyone was raging about...

10. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:She probably got confused because it said "hatching eggs" on the box. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by