For those of you with goats

I have 2 nigerian dwarf does, although I do not milk them, people I've talked to said you can get up to a couple pints of milk a day from the dwarfs. Mine are just now 1 year old and hopefully I will get to breed them soon to get some milk. They are wonderful little goats.

being a dwarf goat , they will give less than a diry goat, prob about half a gallon a day in their frirst freshening , maybe less if they are newbies they do not give as much milk the first time they kid , since they aren't "seasoned " .A milk cow does not give as much on her first freshening either.

I have a Nigerian Dwarf that gives 2 qts each milking but it all basically depends on their milk line heritage as to how much milk you will get and get to keep if you are feeding babies. I have a La Mancha that gives 1 1/2 gallons each day...the bigger breeds give more and some of them give less. Also it all depends on the buck and his lineage also with milking lines in his background as this sets the udder in the does. So check the buck out before you breed the does as this helps alot with the udders and what and how much you will get. Also if the kids stay on mom you will need to pen them at night and milk in the mornings to really get any milk. The more you milk the more you will get and what you feed determines how much they will give too. I always feed either alfafa pellets and grain or alfafa hay. It keeps down the calcium issues that come with milk goats. Good luck

My nubians give about 2 pints per milking, per goat. I milk them twice a day. One is a first time freshener and the other is a 2 time freshener. The more freshenings (have kids) they have the more milk they will produce. My first time freshener gives as much as my 2 timer, but she is also out show lines that breed for milk production ability as well. While my other girl is just a grade Nubian, who came to me in poor condition. However under vet care and a good feed program she is 100% better and producing well.

It really depends on a lot of factors on how much milk you are going to get. Feed, bloodlines, condition etc, etc.

Do y'all drink your milk raw? I've read that pasteurizing kills vitamins and beneficial bacterias.

We drink it raw, just filter it and of course clean the teats and udders before you milk. It is good! The first time I tasted it, though, I thought it tasted like grass, but now I don't notice the difference between it and cow milk.

Back
Top Bottom