For those of you with goats

People who do breed them for milking, though they aren't technically a dairy breed. I don't think they will produce as good Nigerians. But you know Nigerians have small teats, too, their udders are just larger, because that's what they are bred for. Most people who keep and breed Pygmies keep them as pets and don't pay attention to the milk production.

IMO if you want a serious milker go with Nubians, Alpines, Saanen, Toggenburg, Nigis ect... or even a mix of them. I love my Nubians and they are relatively easy to find.

http://www.adga.org/

I know some people milk their Pygmies but they really aren't the way to go if you want to milk them. If you plan on making cheese (it takes a LOT of milk to make cheese) or want enough milk to use in your soap, I doubt you will be happy with the production of a Pygmy. They are meat goats, and are built accordingly.

Try www.pemberleyacres.com May be a bit far of a drive for you, but if you want to milk you really should wait to find quality dairy goats I would stick to your plan and look for Nigies.

ETA: According to my AGS member directory, PromisedLand and Caesar's Villa herds are in NC. These are some great dairy bloodlines those herds. Have you contacted either of those farms yet?

Last edited:
We have Nubian and Alpines mostly in my area. The problem with Nigerians that I'm finding is 1) There are none in my area so I would have to travel to get them and 2) There are none in my area so stud service would be near impossible and I don't want to keep a buck.

I reckon I'll just keep looking.
hmm.png

I'm just full of questions tonight.

Ok, I think I found my girls. 2 unregistered (cheaper) black and white Nigerians burn last Friday. Hopefully I can get a deposit down on them before someone else does (I'm waiting for a response from the farm). I have no Nigerians anywhere near my area, these babies are close to 3 hours away from me. When the girls are a year and a half I can breed them. I'll have to buy semen online I reckon. OR can I breed Nigerians with a Pygmy?

I understand, especially the driving distance...gas is just too expensive! Wouldn't be too bad to make a drive once, but everytime you needed buck service...yeah, I feel you! I have a friend just a few minutes away who has bucks I can use, though they are often too closely related to my does.
roll.png
I lucked out that she had a real nice boy that I could borrow this time that wasn't related!! Otherwise I'd have to drive several hours to VA, leave my doe(s), then go back and get them in 3-4 weeks. Ugh! But I'm like you, I don't want to keep a buck. It's just not worth it for a couple of does.

If it's more convenient to find buck service locally, what about a Nubian or Alpine? You could just get one if you think 2 would be too much milk, and get a wether as a pet to keep her company. Or are you stuck on the lil' guys?
lol.png
While I love the look of the Alpines and Nubians are so sweet, I really love my little goats!

Good luck, I know how you feel, being ready for them and having a tough time finding them! I was the same way back when we started looking for our first goats. They are so cool, you're going to love them! The right ones will come along.

ETA: You can breed a pygmy to a Nigerian, but you're going to lose the dairy character in subsequent generations. If you want them for pets, it'd be fine; if you really want them for milk, it's not going to be a good move genetically. I would also wonder about the dairy quality of the unregistered does. They could be great little milkers that just aren't registered, or they could end up to be poorly bred, with no thought given to production, and you'll be disapointed when you try to milk them.

Last edited:
get nubians or alpines why do you need a small goat maybe you could use your own milk to make soap
big_smile.png

Good Luck I am jealous,
Henry

Quote:
I wanted small goats because I have small land...only a little over 3 acres. I'll have to look for larger goats though because that's all I have in my area. I am planning on extending my goat milk soap line so yeah I should get Alpines or Nubians. I have another contact to call tomorrow that raises Nubians so hopefully this one will work out.

You cannot (or rather SHOULD not) breed a miniature breed to a large breed goat. That is just asking for trouble.

When shopping for Nigis for milk production...the only thing to look for are the larger teats.

See this doe? IDEAL milker - and pure bred Nigi...
http://www.sweetgumminis.com/tachauna.html

Of course most Nigis you'll find will have smaller teats. Of my 11 does, only two have good milking teats. Still - the ones with smaller teats have the same capacity, it just takes a little getting used to the smaller teat size.

Good luck in your hunt.

Back
Top Bottom