For those of you with goats

Quote:
Oh ok, I got confused. I've seen Pygmies but I've only seen Nigerians in pictures so I thought I was wrong.

Great! I want these unregistered does then. They're only $120 each as opposed to $250-$300 each which is just a deal breaker for me...that's to much for a goat (IMO).

Check out the babies I'm hoping to get. They're all the way on the bottom, the last 2 black and white numbers 0697 and 0698. Cute huh?
http://hometown.aol.com/buffalocreek2/NigerianSale.html

I'm actually falling for the tri-colored baby buck on the top of the page. But I have to resist, I don't want a pee faced buck running around. LOL

Oh wow those are cuties! And blue eyes are so pretty. The boy I've just bred two of my girls to happens to have blue eyes. It would be cool if I get a couple of kids with blue eyes, too!

I've seen that farm's web site. I had to go googling Zebu cattle. I'm obsessed, they are so cute. But way too expensive for a cool-looking pet!! Yikes!

I would definitely ask why they aren't registered--they are members of the AGS and a lot of their goats are registered, so I would wonder why they aren't registering these--maybe they are selling them as pets and not for breeding? But if you are satisfied with their reasons, I would say go for it--they are adorable! You will love having baby goats, they are the best!!

Quote:
Aaawwww, the stinky-faced bucks get no love....

DSC_0030.jpg

lol.png
Seriously, they can be sweethearts but they are also escape artists to the extreme! And yes, stinky--and they love to share their stink, too. Go in the pen for a minute and they'll rub their faces all over you.
roll.png
This little guy in the pic is one I'm using to breed right now. He's for sale and I love him dearly, so sweet, but I really can't justify it for 3 does. But I understand the temptation!!

Quote:
I did notice that the bottom row are all black and white and all born on the same day. Can a Nigerian have 4 kids at a time?
ep.gif
If they are all from the same "litter" (I don't know what you call goat siblings) the baby buck is registered but the does aren't. Hummmmm.
hu.gif

This is from their site:
Cost
Average cost for registered breeding stock is $200 to $500, with champion pedigrees, milk production record animals and unusual coloring receiving premium prices. Pet quality stock often costs much less, and wethers (neutered males) can be purchased for around $100.

Man this is like when I made up my mind to get chickens...late nights researching on the web.
caf.gif

Yes, Nigies can have 4 babies at the same time! 5 even, though I would guess that's pretty rare. 2 and 3 at a time seems to be the most common.

Have you talked to anyone at the farm yet? Just give 'em a call and go visit, see if you like what you see/hear. Can't hurt, maybe you'll come home with some kids!!
yippiechickie.gif
Are they bottle-fed?

Talk about late nights...I'm supposed to be working, I'm so behind...but talking goats is so much more fun!

Quote:
They're 119 miles away.
sad.png
I called today but I can't remember what we talked about...LOL I talked to so many people today. I've emailed them about the babies and I'll call them again tomorrow and see if they'll take a deposit and hold them for me. They're not even a week old yet so I guess they'll keep them until they're 12 weeks??? They have a lot of goats so I'm sure the does raise the kids.

Ok, I think it's bed time now. Good thing I'm working at home tomorrow.

Good night!

Well I have a Nigi that had 4 this year. 2 bucks and 2 does...Yep Sometimes they register the buck because of the milk lines and not the does as they sell them cheaper that way. IF and when you get there CHECK the TEATS!!! very important as if you get 1 with a fish teat or she might have more than 2 teats it makes milking really hard to do. I have registered and unregisterd Nigis and I started with the unregistered. I have kept the originals and breed them to my registered ND buck and have gotten many good does from him and they have gone on to be good milkers. This way if by chance they dont have the Big Bucks for a goats I sell them a unregistered doe. Just check for flaws and ask questions...They will either avoid it or answer your ??? about the does. Even if they are a week old you can still bring them home as they will charge you to keep them as they will be feeding them and most places dont want that responsibility. I have bought doelings at 2 days old and bottle feed them cows milk with no problems. I feed them 4 times a day and work my way down to weaning them at either 8 wks or 12 weeks old..It just depends on the size.
also ask about what shots they ahve had and what shots you need to give them. God Luck

Quote:
Oh my god I know, isn't he adorable? He's got a personality to match, too. I really wish I could keep him, but I just can't. I should get some nice babies from him, though! Here's hoping....
fl.gif

If those little does haven't been bottle fed it's unlikely you'll get them to take a bottle by the time you get them. Some people have had success after a few days, but most just won't accept it if they've been with the dam for any length of time. Me personally, I wouldn't raise my does for breeding on cow's milk. I've raised a pet wether on cow's milk, but you really want your does to have the best possible start--not that they can't end up perfectly healthy on cow's milk, it's just better to start them off on what nature intended for them to eat, kwim? It's hard on a doe's body to produce kids and milk, you don't want to short-change them. Cow's milk is for baby cows!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom