For those who have done it both ways: Hatchet vs. Knife

i wouldn't know I don't kill my birds but my oppion would be chop their heads I can't stand the flapping and the sounds they make.

I just recently learned to pith. (stick the knife into the brain) Yes, they'd be rendered unaware because they are rendered instantly dead. However, I've so far only done this once, with a bird that had been badly injured, it was a mercy killing. She was suffering horribly. I use a thin-bladed paring knife with a very sharp point, right up through the roof of the mouth. If you look at the roof of a bird's mouth, you'll see sort of a slot there. With a fair bit a pressure, (but less than it would take to poke into watermelon rind) you just push the blade right into the slot, I also moved the blade a bit (from front to back) so all accessible parts of the brain got stuck or sliced, very quickly, just to make sure. The bird instantly went limp and relaxed, there was no flapping or anything. Then I removed the head and there was no reaction at all.

I'm going to try it next time we butcher. I think it's less traumatic for the bird than beheading or throat cutting. I read one comment about this method that a guy who hadn't done it for awhile said he tried it and it wasn't as quick as he'd been able to do it before. I don't know if he didn't stick deep enough, or what. I know when I did it, the bird was just instantly dead.

This might be a dumb question, but if you have a stun gun, and you think it would stun a bird dead, isn't that the goal? I mean, it would be an instant, non-traumatic death, wouldn't it? When we butchered turkeys, my DH walked up and shot them in the head, they just fell over, and it was done. They never knew what hit them, that's a good thing!

They bleed out just fine, even if they're dead before you cut the throat. When one of my hen got hit by a car, it was several minutes later before I had her in the house and the head off, she still bled out fine. You can always soak then in salt water for a little while, if you think they aren't bled well enough.

Last edited:
I like the way Purple Chicken taught us to do the deed. We use the stump and axe method and hold the body for the bleed out instead of letting it flop around. It feels humane and right to me. And my last great tip from him after me being upset at not hitting my mark on the neck: practice on a stick.

Stump...2 nails about half an inch apart(for quail)....and a good sharp hatchet....QUICK...EASY...And humane!
big_smile.png

Whatever you do just don't let them flop around- they can break their wings and it makes it difficult to skin and clean around when they do.
I personally like the axe and stump. Quick and easy. Don't have to think about where to stick what. Big easy target.

Last edited:
I've heard a lot of people use the cones and then slit their throats. The cones keep them from flapping (and from what I've seen it keeps them calm)... That's probably what I'll do when the time comes...

Someone emailed me and unfortunately the email became part of my select all and delete. oops. So, the link below will bring you to a posting of pics and video from when we processed my four meat birds. There's another posting from perfectly_polish...actually when you go to her youtube video, you'll see another video or two from other processing days. good luck!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=73922

Put them in a killing cone (old traffic cone) hang it over a collection tub (wheelbarrow) and slice with knife. Walk away. Finish scalding, plucking or cleaning the one before. Come back and repeat. No sound, no flapping, no mess.

I haven't done both.

But when I was a kid we always did the ax and the stump. I thought it was fine (we put the bird in a bucket until it stopped flapping).

But this fall when I do some for the first time in forever, I am going to try slitting the neck.

Even if they are aware for the entire thing, I do not think it would be painful or traumatic for them. A cut with a very sharp knife isn't very painful, and neither is bleeding to death. (not that I have ever bled to death,
roll.png
but I lost quite a bit of blood with my last birth, and it wasn't painful, you just get cold and tingly).

I am simply thinking that bleeding out would make a better carcass.

Back
Top Bottom