For those with sick chicks..a few questions

amaliayosa

Songster
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
Blue Ridge Mountains, NC
I have 20 chicks from MM, my friend took 7 they arrived March 11. I lost 3 within the first 48 hours apparently due to chilling, they spent an extra day in transit :mad: Anyway so far all my other chicks seem fine, they are 13 days old now and eating and active. How long was it before many of these sick chicks started showing symptoms of illness? I am of course keeping a close eye on them knowing that they are still not out of the woods yet.
Anyway I was planning on placing another order from Meyer hatchery, a brown layer assortment, for delivery in mid April.
Should they be kept in separate rooms from the original MM chicks? How is everyone else handling this? I didn't want to wait too long to order them for fear of them not being available.
Thanks
Amy

I would suggest you keep these chicks in strict isolation until this is sorted out. Lots of chicks have gone in now for testing and we only have results from one batch that I know of.

If the tests continue to come back positive for AE then I woulds suggest you have yours tested and follow the recomendations of the state vets as to how to decontaminate the area and when to restock.

For now hold off on getting more chicks ordered. It should be only 4 or 5 days before we have many more tests.

It's a stressful time for sure, I have been in the middle of an AI outbreak so I feel for you, and remeber well being lined up to get the testings done. I suggest you hang tight right now if your chicks appear healthy. If at any time they get ill get them tested. You need to go to 8 weeks of age before your past the age of most common symptom onset.

Our chicks arrived tuesday. Two dead upon arrival. One died the first day. That night three more were sick and died overnight. Day 2 one died during the day and 2 more sick chicks died overnight. So far today, they are hanging in there. The cornish cross chicks see to be doing ok. For us, it's the egg layers that are sick. I'm waiting for our Dept of AG Vet here in WV to call me back today. We isolate the ones that show symptoms. All chicks are kept FAR AWAY from the rest of our flock. We started out with 51 chicks. 30 cornish cross and 20 egg layers. 1 free bird. We are down to 29 cornish cross and 13 egg layers. We are in a wait and see situation.

You should keep your MM chicks separated from the other chicks.
I drove and pick up my chicks from MM on March 1st and mine are sick. Mine like most other people, the chicks started getting sick the second week. One of mine got sick the second week then, every couple days I would notice another one begining to wobble and sitting on her hocks. We dont have any lab work back yet so I cant tell you what the problem is. MM says that they are aware of a problem, and will refund your money if your chicks get it. They are a good company and I'll order from them again.

Good luck with your chicks!

**edited to remove inflammatory remarks. There is another thread open for constructive conversation**

Last edited by a moderator:
They told me my chicks are dying because shipping stress, even though they have the same symptoms of everyone elses dying chicks. I was told they didn't have a problem. I spoke with them yesterday

Quote:
Sharedspirit - from your post, I would say what the hatchery said is reasonable. The symptoms normally show up from day 10-14, with the primary day being around day 12. If you are losing chicks right away, it very well may be shipping stress.

shared spirit~ I lost 3 initially as well, I believe it was shipping related. MM promptly refunded my money for the two that had already died and for the weak chick, which also died later that day.

This is the first time we've ordered chicks. We usually buy locally and hatch out our own. Is it normal to lose up to 20% because of shipping stress? I think I should have ordered from a hatchery closer to home. Meyer in Ohio maybe?

A nieghbor and I orderd 105 from Cackle. They arrived a week ago. We have 108 alive and well today. Thats right what we ordered + 3. Mine were in transit for two day they shipped on a Monday and I received them on Wednesday.

Back
Top Bottom