For U.K. members, think again about using hardware cloth in coops.

Quote:
I'd know something was going on far before they had a chnce to break in. Dogs Guineas and that sixth sense we gals have for noises that are out of place....
wink.png
In all the years I lived there alone, I was woken up exactly three times with noises that were out of place. Even on starlit nights im pretty good at spotting things. All three times they were border patrol checking on my place.

It's not just a gal sixth sense but a survival one. I can sleep through anything. Doors slaming, kids hollering, the dog barking at nothing, my wife getting the kids ready for school, etc. But if one of the kids tries to tip-toe through the house, one of the dogs makes a single growl that's out of the ordinary, a car stops on the road near our house... any tiny little slight sound that registers in my subconcious mind that is "off" - and I'm intantly wide awake and reaching for the "booger getter".
I guess for some of us it's a primal leftover thing or something.
I don't ever want to hurt or harm anyone. I am the world's biggest pacifist. But I'm also a realist and know that as long as bad people do bad things, you will either stand up and protect yourself or be ran over or killed. I never want another person's life on my soul, but if it's them or me... I'll live with it.

Two things come to my mind in discusions like this. One was a quote I read (Can't remember the man's name) that stated "Evil flurishes when good men do nothing".
The other is something my Grandfather taught me. He said people shouldn't fight. If they have a problem, they should just get together and talk it out like adults and either reach and agreement or just stay away from each other afterwards and stay out of each other's business. I said "But Pa, some people you just can't talk to". He just smiled that wise old smile and said "Son, you can talk to anyone and they'll listen. You just have to talk the launguage they understand. Some of them you can talk face to face with and be very polite and peaceful, and some folks just have to be laying at your feet bleeding looking up at you when you talk, but you can talk to anyone".

Now, I'm just a simple uneducated country boy. I've never had a pot to p*** in or a window to dump it out of as the saying goes. But what little I have is mine. I worked for it, I earned it and nobody's going to take it away from me without a fight. I've worked all my life since I was 15 years old doing a man's work for a man's wages and giving a full days work in exchange for a day's pay. I've seldom made over minimum wage and many times worked for less. I've raised 5 good kids, I take care of our bills and my wife who is disabled, my home is not worth much, but it's mine and it's paid for and we eat enough to keep us healthy and able to get up in the mornings and go at it again.
I might give a person something I've got, and have done so many times if I thought they needed it more than me, because that's just how I am. But a no good thief ain't going to come on my place and leave with anything except ballast and extra ventalation if I can help it.

By the way, I have several friends who are in law inforcement and they feel the same as I do. I pity those people around the world and here in this country too who have to put up with such a horrible existance that they can't even legaly protect themselves, their families and property.

Of course that's just me. I know I'm no genius, so your milage may vary.
wink.png

LOL there is no such thing as "simple" and "Uneducated"... You sound like a good man. I am still not understanding why I am getting a lecture. Oh I get it you are using me so you can scrape up your soap box... fine. You have no idea of what its is to be in my shoes. I have no idea what it is to be in your shoes. But I do know about survival. I also know I will probably be one of the first to go in a survival situation. I am half way to 56 walk with a cane and one day soon I will be in a wheelchair. I also know about hard work. I too am an uneducated gal... but living life without an education, doesnt mean I didnt get one. I started out as an assembler in a factory, then a helper in a machine shop, then a drafter in a sweatshop I could do a hundred drawings in a week. No didnt farm for a living or work heavy labor but I know about coming home and spending the next hour pulling metal chips out of my hands. Raised a son by myself he's in college now. And he's a fine young man. The important things to me are my son and my life. And I would give up my life for my son.

So howabout them Chickens....
big_smile.png

Mississippifarmboy has it exactly right. "You stick to your stuff, and I'll stick to mine. Living in America guarantees your right to handle situations "passively" or "AGGRESIVELY" as long as it's legal. But I've been to his "page", doesn't look like he has many folks wonder in there by mistake. Friendly sort, nice guy, family man, good Dad, has the gift of being able to talk real fast. Probably don't have much to say if he finds you wondering around his place after dark. To Quote Hank Williams Jr. "Just leave this long haired country boy alone!" I did notice he also raises pigs. GOOD MAN.

LOL there is no such thing as "simple" and "Uneducated"... You sound like a good man. I am still not understanding why I am getting a lecture. Oh I get it you are using me so you can scrape up your soap box... fine. You have no idea of what its is to be in my shoes. I have no idea what it is to be in your shoes. But I do know about survival. I also know I will probably be one of the first to go in a survival situation. I am half way to 56 walk with a cane and one day soon I will be in a wheelchair. I also know about hard work. I too am an uneducated gal... but living life without an education, doesnt mean I didnt get one. I started out as an assembler in a factory, then a helper in a machine shop, then a drafter in a sweatshop I could do a hundred drawings in a week. No didnt farm for a living or work heavy labor but I know about coming home and spending the next hour pulling metal chips out of my hands. Raised a son by myself he's in college now. And he's a fine young man. The important things to me are my son and my life. And I would give up my life for my son.

Perchie.girl, I appoligize. This was in NO WAY a lecture towards you. I was just agreeing with you. I thought? Anyway, I think too much since I've been laid up and can't work these past couple of months and I guess it turned into a rant. Again, my appoligies. I enjoy your posts and in no way meant anything at all bad directed at or about you.

Chickened, Thanks. I knew that, just couldn't for the life of me remember his name.

Pagan Prince; aye, back on track. Sheds, hardware cloth and poor thieves getting hurt and sueing the homeowner.

Again, I apoligize to anyone my little rant offended. I'll go play nice now.

Last edited:
It is pretty dang hot!! And the cockrells are HUGE because as everyone knows, everything is bigger in Texas.
lol.png

Yeah...everything but the trees! That's the first thing I noticed after flying home from a vacation to Oregon. All the trees here looked like teensy little toy trees.​

Quote:
ROTFLMAO
yuckyuck.gif

I guess I am in serious trouble as I live in scorching hot, humid southeast Texas and my coop is wrapped in hardware cloth with a few pieces of plywood tossed on in random places to block the sun. The possibilities of a burgular harming himself in my hardware cloth wrapped coop as he breaks in to snatch a free egg has me skeered.
hide.gif
But then again, I do live in Texas, (blows puff of smoke from end of pistol barrel) --- nah, not a problem.

Pagan Prince you should hang out here and post more often. I don't care about slating on you or the Uk either one. (don't know if I used your term correctly or not) In Texas slang: Ah reckon you're down right OK, don't care whur you're from. (that probably doesn't make sense either
lau.gif
)

One of the things I really enjoy about this forum is the many different people, from all around the world, with different experiences to share. Ya'll keep it comin' now, ya' heah?

Quote:
It isn't just Canada or the UK either. In the people's republic of Taxachussetts, unless you are an invalid, you must retreat or leave your house rather than use deadly force. That is right, you have to run from the bad guys no matter what. They are dead serious about that up there, especially in Boston. It is a crminal's dream. On the other hand, down in Kennasaw GA, the town council passed a law mandating every home owner had to have at least one loaded gun at home. No, it is not enforced, but Kennesaw has the very lowest rate of burglary you can find in America all the same.
lol.png

Gerry
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom