Foraging Hens - is this ok????

certifiedchef

Songster
9 Years
Jun 27, 2010
Carmichael
We have a micro flock (4 hens) 2 just started laying this week (YEAH!!!) and now that the rains have stopped they were most hapy to get out into the yard to 'free range' an hour or so before the dog returns to his yard. ANyway, my question is snails and slugs??? I know youwould not want to directly feed your girls such nasty critters, but is it ok for them to be foraging for these tasty morsels? any worry about parasites? what about the eggs we eat? any risk of parasites transfering tothe eggs? Am I being a nervous wanna be farmer? Free range chix will eat anything, should I not worry and let nature take it course????
THank you and Merry Christmas!!
David

Let 'em eat 'em. Heck, if we find slugs in the strawberry garden we actually CARRY them over to the chickens to get rid of them.

What's nasty to us isn't necessarily nasty to a chicken; no need to stop them from eating anything that isn't poisonous to them.

Quote:
smile.png
Yes, but that is perfect - you ask questions and become informed.

You will be amazed at what chickens will eat - almost anything that does not eat them. The bugs are good for them, lots of natural protein and vitamins.

Just wait till you see one trying to swallow a mouse.
lol.png

Remember - they can eat almost all of your kitchen food leftovers - most importantly the meat, any type.

Its safe for them to eat anything they can forage for except for a couple of plants that are bad. Hollyhocks & apple seeds & such.

I was shocked when I saw my hens grab a nest of pink baby mice & gobble them down!

Our hens eat TONS of weird and nasty critters while free-ranging....I've seen them twice catch tiny frogs and gobble them down. Both times they were SO excited when they caught the frog, running around the yard as fast as their little legs could carry them to keep away from the others--it was hilarious.
lol.png

Quote:
I think they must be hardwired for that... we had a singleton chick hatch (from 16 eggs, ugh!) last January, & when we gave her treats she ran around like that too
gig.gif

Laurie

Back
Top Bottom