Foraging Hens - is this ok????

Most of us would GLADLY feed our chickens BAGS full of worms, grubs, and bugs if we could get them.
droolin.gif
What nature provides is always best! The feed mixes that you buy are simply man-made attempts to replicate what nature freely provides.

They love em! And they're perfectly happy. The eggs are fine to eat and probably even more nutritious. I think you're just being a "wannabe farmer".
lol.png
Kidding.

Last edited:
I let my girls for an hour or two a day. They love to freerange. I have two girls that specifically hunt for frogs that hide under the boulders in the woods around my house. Marge and Nellie first found frogs there by chance but as I observed them throughout the fall, I noticed that while the others were busy scratching around in the leaves and grass, they were specifically digging around the big rocks we have by the house and in the woods. I found it odd until I realized that they were consistantly catching frogs by doing this! Too funny watching them run from everyone with a screaming frog hanging out of their beaks! I dont need an exterminator for anything at my house, I have eight willing feathered ones who pay me for the job!!!

We named one of our cockerels Kermit because he was a master frog hunter. Of course, they love to play tug of war with the poor things. Yummy frog legs!

I agree, I'm glad mine have access to the various and critters here. But I also worm them regularly, knowing they can pick up parasites this way.

Back
Top Bottom