1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Force Air CFM's...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Poulets De Cajun, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I am thinking about building a hatcher using the parts from my now inoperable LG, and some spare parts I have laying around.

I have two Server cooling fans that I believe are 85cfm each. If I wire these in succession I'll have about 170 cfms.

So my question is how big of a cabinet can I build with these before the area inside is too big for these to make a difference?

Conversly, how big does it need to be so that it doesn't feel like a hurricane inside?

I hope that makes since....

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2009
  2. minna

minna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Burnsville, MS
    It makes sense, I have no idea, when my dh is back I will ask him. He is the hardware tech. I just wanted to answer you b/c I hate posting a question and being ignored.

3. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    Quote:AMEN!!![​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Chris, that's alot of air. All you want is for it to move, even slowly. I think even 85 cfm is very windy and would tend to dry out your eggs.

5. Poulets De Cajun

Really? I can't seem to find out how many CFM's are in the incubator that I am running. Its an old Lyons electric, but the fan in it KICKS! Its about 4 to 6" wide I would guess.

These server fans are only about 4" square. I'll have to try and take pics tonight.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

We use a 12V computer fan with a 9V power supply. It blows pretty good, though the 9V power supply slows it down some. I asked my Dh, who is an electronic tech, and he thinks that 85 cfm is a bit fast. I dunno, really. You can certainly try them and see what happens, then get a less powerful unit.

7. Poulets De Cajun

I wonder if I put it on a dimmer switch if I could slow the fan speed down.... hmmmm?

8. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Well now that you have the fan/fan's and have your cfm figures maybe just build the hatcher to that size, but then your heating element may not be stout enough. Quagemire indeed.

AL

9. tofuranch

tofuranch What Came First????

Dec 11, 2008
    That seems like a lot of air movement, I wonder if you will have problems with keeping it wet enough in the whole incubator. It sounds like you will have to try it to find out

10. Poulets De Cajun

Here is a pic of all the fans I've seemed to have accquire. The ones i was thinking about using in the hatcher are the ones to the right.

anyone need some air moved? LOL

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by