Force Feeding Injured Duck...Need Advice

Sugraddict1973

In the Brooder
Aug 1, 2019
Stanford, Kentucky
So Frankie, my Pekin Drake, found a way to break one of his toes. Assuming he broke a toe because of the swelling, limping, and there's no visible injury to his foot.

My husband made a custom splint for his foot to keep it flat (he was so proud of this...lol) and we use the sports wrap stuff to keep it in place. Needless to say, Frankie is upset about the whole thing. Every time I have to handle Frankie, he and the rest of the troop won't talk to me Except the girls...show them a few meal worms and we're forgiven... somewhat.

The new issue...he's not eating, even if he's presented with his favorite foods. He won't drink much either. I found a way around getting him to drink water by just using the shower setting on the house and making it rain on him (works like a charm). The food thing is more challenging.

I mixed some of their dry food with a little bit of vitamins in a squeeze bottle...looks like something a woman would use for coloring hair. At first he was drinking a little bit of it, then he became an obstinate 2 year old and refused to drink any more of it. Just had a duck covered in food...lol.

Any suggestions on how to make this more successful? Do I need to buy something that has a tube that goes down his throat a little. You know, past the tongue at least. I've got to do something. It's been several days and he's barely eaten anything.

did you inspect for bumble foot? sometimes a nice warm soak with Epsom salt for 10-15 minutes or as long as tolerated helps, if it's really hurting that will put him off his feed. do you have a tub or kiddie pool you could put him in water while in isolation? just cause a duck is sick or injured doesn't mean they shouldn't be in water as that's where they do most of their cleaning and preening. As they are flock birds and he is hurt not sick put one of the hens in with him that may help calm him down too. not sure if you can give a duck anything for pain or not. so tagging one of the duck experts to see if they have any other advice.

@WVduckchick

Do I need to buy something that has a tube that goes down his throat a little. You know, past the tongue at least. I've got to do something. It's been several days and he's barely eaten anything.
Welcome to BYC! May I suggest that you weigh him and get a baseline weight, then weigh every day. Can you also take a video of him, upload it to youtube or vimeo, then copy and paste the link here? Pictures of his foot would be helpful too.

They say that ducks should be tube fed if they lose 5% of their body weight, so do get that baseline weight, then start weighing every day. If he loses 5% of his weight we can teach you how to tube feed.

I've never seen a duck or other poultry not eat because of an injured foot. Is he separated from the other ducks? I so, try putting another duck with him. If not I'd recommend looking for another cause. I have had to force feed but never because of an injured foot, leg, or wing.
I don't have him separated from the rest so he can be by his buddies. Wherever he is, the rest are right by him (aww).

did you inspect for bumble foot? sometimes a nice warm soak with Epsom salt for 10-15 minutes or as long as tolerated helps, if it's really hurting that will put him off his feed. do you have a tub or kiddie pool you could put him in water while in isolation? just cause a duck is sick or injured doesn't mean they shouldn't be in water as that's where they do most of their cleaning and preening. As they are flock birds and he is hurt not sick put one of the hens in with him that may help calm him down too. not sure if you can give a duck anything for pain or not. so tagging one of the duck experts to see if they have any other advice.

@WVduckchick
I did inspect for bumble foot, and there wasn't any kind of injury I could see...just swelling around his middle toe. Then the swelling increased up to his ankle. It hasn't gotten worse, but it's not getting better.

I let him stay in the kiddie pool since he'll drink water that way and he doesn't have to sit weird on the ground. Considering Frankie has been the top duck from the get go (him and Lola are the royal couple), I haven't separated him from his flock. He seems a lot happier being close to them, and they like Frankie a lot so wherever he is, the rest are right next to him. It's adorable really.

He probably has an infection. It is unusual for a duck to stop eating unless they are in severe pain or sick. Why don't you bring them to see a vet who sees ducks? http://www.poultrydvm.com/poultry-vets.php
I'm saving the vet visit as a last resort...it's an hour and a half to the nearest waterfowl vet. Plus, the office is in the city, and vet costs are considerably higher there. $55 office visit, plus an x-ray, plus any medicine. If the antibiotics don't help within the next day or two, I'll take him in regardless.

Back
Top Bottom