Forever young chicken?????

Chicky3

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 1, 2014
I have some chickens all the same age, the others have start clucking except for one.
But recently that chicken went through a bit of a scare and I guess she got so shocked she start clucking, but she was clucking quite oddly, like she was clearing her voice and forcing her self to go back to cheeping.

And now I guess she has forced herself to go back to cheeping because I haven't heard her cluck since.
Why is this? She is the smallest chicken and my family members do coo at her more and pay her more attention, maybe she is forcing herself to stay as the "baby" chicken?

If anyone knows why she is doing this that would be super helpful!
Thanks.

I have some chickens all the same age, the others have start clucking except for one.
But recently that chicken went through a bit of a scare and I guess she got so shocked she start clucking, but she was clucking quite oddly, like she was clearing her voice and forcing her self to go back to cheeping.

And now I guess she has forced herself to go back to cheeping because I haven't heard her cluck since.
Why is this? She is the smallest chicken and my family members do coo at her more and pay her more attention, maybe she is forcing herself to stay as the "baby" chicken?

If anyone knows why she is doing this that would be super helpful!
Thanks.
Are you sure she's a she and not a slow growing he?

How old are they?

Not all chickens mature at the same rate....they kinda go thru a voice change time period where they may cheep and cluck.

I sincerely hope not, the lady we got our chickens from did say they were girls, I do know that it can be hard to tell the difference between male and female while the chickens are still young but the lady seemed confident... Is there anyway that I can check she's a boy or girl before she reach's full maturity?

They are about 2-3 months old about 15 weeks I think..

A picture would help for sexing, even experts make mistakes sometimes...but I remember when I had a bunch of chicks that went through a weird stage...they would chirp sometimes and other times they honked like a goose...at the time I had no geese around so why they sounded like that was beyond me..eventually they slowly switched to clucking and crowing...

A picture would help for sexing, even experts make mistakes sometimes...but I remember when I had a bunch of chicks that went through a weird stage...they would chirp sometimes and other times they honked like a goose...at the time I had no geese around so why they sounded like that was beyond me..eventually they slowly switched to clucking and crowing...
I have four 15 week olds that kinda of honk.....not sure if it sounds like a goose but it doesn't sounds much like the other chickens either.

Thanks you for everyone's help, sorry for the late reply, I will post a picture soon.
I am relieved to say that she has start clucking now though it does sound a bit like honking though.

Meanwhile I have noticed another problem and it's worrying me more than her possibly turning out to be a he.

At first I thought this was cute, because when she runs to us when we bring them lettuce, she waddles a little bit.
But then I started to notice this more and more and she also jumps and stumbles a bit.
I took a closer look this morning and her left leg seems to be a little twisted.
Should I apply a splint or bandage it??
I'm a first time chicken keeper so I really have no idea what to do!

Thanks again for your help, perhaps I'll attach a link to a video so you get a better idea of what's going on.

Back
Top Bottom