Forget diamonds, I want a COOP!

WickeeChickee

Songster
7 Years
6 Years
Feb 28, 2013
Madisonville, LA
Hey, y'all!

We're over here in St. Tammany Parish, LA, and this all started over breakfast a few weeks ago when my husband innocently raised the idea of starting a backyard flock. His (very logical) reasoning was that our family of 5 goes through at least 2 dozen eggs per week and we already dabble in vegetable gardening so a flock of chickens for eggs/fertilizer seemed a good idea. What the poor darling DIDN'T predict was that I, being a bored stay at home mommy of a 3 year old and a 16 month old, was going to jump on the idea like a starving person jumps on a box of Popeye's! Now I have read every kindle book on the subject, perused Youtube for hours, and pestered the poor owner of the local feed store in my desperate attempt to glean every scrap of backyard poultry related information possible! Now I have become obsessed with mulling the pros and cons of Buff Orpingtons vs. Rhode Island Reds vs. Barred Rocks when it comes to egg production, the eternal quandary of whether to acquire started pullets vs. chicks, and of course the oh so life altering decision between building a chicken tractor or a permanent coop and run. The problem is my husband, now faced with the chicken-obsessed lunatic who used to be his wife, has back-peddled on the idea so fast it's making his poor head spin. So, how to convince the dear man to build me a darn chicken coop?!

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

gig.gif

Get out a hammer and saw - no man can stand to see a female start on a building project without horning in

Yes, I do believe that is my next move - i've been thinking about dumping a bunch of plywood and 2x4's in the back and randomly hammering nails into them. I think that should spur him into desperate action... maybe if I asked to use his new nail gun.....hmmm

Last edited:
lol.png
You fit right in here! You crack me up!

Welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined BYC. Sounds like you got the right idea-get out there and start hammering nails.They really cant take that.
I see you having that coop and "assorted" hens soon. Best of luck to you :)

Last edited:
Yes, I do believe that is my next move - i've been thinking about dumping a bunch of plywood and 2x4's in the back and randomly hammering nails into them. I think that should spur him into desperate action... maybe if I asked to use his new nail gun.....hmmm

yuckyuck.gif
I like you already, WickeeChickee!! Glad you have you aboard! Enjoy those birds and have fun on BYC!!

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined us. You made me laugh with your first post! Well, good news for you is that there is plenty more great reads on everything chicken right here... now, if you look down on the bottom you will see "New Articles" and below them "All Articles" There are quite a few of them...
wink.png
But before you get lost in the articles have a quick look at the Coops section for coop designs and the Breeds section for more on your chosen breeds. Have fun!

Thank you for the warm welcome! I've been lurking around here for a few weeks now and I'm hooked on the wealth of info this site provides. Coop designs are floating around my dreams at night...I especially like the one I saw here which used toilet seat covers as windows... I'm thinking about copying that one if for no other reason than to shock my relatives who already think I've gone insane.... mwahahhahaha!!:lol:

Hahahaha, love it! Sounds like my house: chicken obsessed wife with a humoring (yet slightly scared) spouse. I'd love to know what you've found/find in regards to the chicks vs. pullets as I'm mulling that over as well. :) Btw, Welcome!!

Back
Top Bottom