formula for substituting alfalfa meal for soybean in layer feed

marquisella

Crowing
10 Years
Jan 30, 2009
I looking for a way to figure out how to substitute fish meal at %60 protein for soybean.

Anyone know or have a place to do that. I could sit down and try to figure it out, but I'd rather have someone else do it! LOL

I want 20% laying.

I originally mistankenly wrote alfalfa meal instead of fish meal, so that is why this will be confusing...sorry.

Last edited:
That protein seems kind of high, for alfalfa. Even if it's just the leaves in the meal. Maybe someone more experienced with alfalfa meal will chime in soon. Pellets and meal are most commonly 17% protein. Meal made only with the leaves is higher in protein, but I didn't think it was ever that high.

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Quote:
Alfalfa Meal with 60% CP? WOW.

Tag says 55pct. Sometimes it says 60pct.​

Hi,
Something seems wrong here..Alfalfa 60% no way....
hmm.png

Alfalfa meal/pellets is around 17% Soy around 44%, Fish meal around 60%

IMO you can not just replace the soy with alfalfa. Maybe with alfalfa and fish meal... But some legume is good in a mix.. I use field peas which are 24%

SO this must be some kind of "protien" mix that is at 60%??
What is all in it?
Yes you can replace the soy in your mix, I would be happy to share what little I know.
ON

That sounds great! I think it can be a little hard to keep things straight at first, when you're thinking about so many different feed ingredients that you could use for mixing up a chicken feed. I bet you'll get some really good advice.

Quote:
Well, in my defense,,,lol, I had my 2 year old granddaughter tugging on my arm trying to get my attention...and I didn't realize I had typed alfalfa instead of Fish meal.

OK!
Sure, yes... Fish meal is great. You would use approximately, 1/3 less fish meal than you were adding soy. (Assuming 60/40 protein numbers)
However no one can give real specific advice without knowing what else you are feeding.

I generally try to keep fish meal at 5% or less of my total mix using it as only part of the protein source.

Fish meal is a great natural source for the hard to get amino acid Methionine. Diets based on Soy rely on using synthetic Methionine.

ON

Quote:
I just want to take the soy out of my locals mills whole grain chicken mix, and substitute the fish meal. They will do it for me, I just have to tell them how much to use. Its an old business, in the country and want me to come up with the numbers and they will do it.
So I will tell them to use 1/3 less than the amount of soy they are using.

Back
Top Bottom