Fort Silkie

Frozen Feathers

Songster
12 Years
May 4, 2007
Maine
As it's been dubbed.
smile.png
It does look a bit like a fort, but hey, the wood was free (except for the roof) my in-laws replaced their deck, so I got any salvageable wood. Don't laugh, it's a bit crooked, but I did 90% of it myself...yay! Overall I think I spent $40 for it, including screws, hinges, latches and the roof. I still need to get some shingles or some sort of roofing, but I'm keeping a look out on Freecycle.
smile.png

100_3029.jpg

Here it is from the front. It's in 3 sections. One for the Greys and 2 for the blues and splashes. It has cute little doors, unfortunately I forgot to put in my windows, but DH says he'll put them in, probably next fall.
roll.png

100_3031.jpg

This is the back. I wanted doors that I could open up and reach in if I had too. It also can be scraped right out, rather then having to shovel the waste out.
100_3030.jpg

One of the sections. As you can see, I used hardware cloth to separate the sections. That way it wouldn't be so stuffy.
100_3034.jpg

I had to take a pic of my grey Roo coming out the door, so you can see the size.
All I have to do now is add roosts, nesting boxes and then the Silkies.
smile.png

Now this is a pretty cool freebie. A 6'hx5'w old cabinet. Got it from the dump...lol. It's mostly solid wood, except for the doors, which I will be replacing anyway. I am going to use it as a brooding/breeding house for my birds. that way I can keep a broody hen in one of the sections and she can hatch out her eggs in peace. I could probably also use it for breeding Silkies. I figure I can get 3 horizontal sections. I just need to add a slanted roof, so the snow doesn't sit right on top, and replace the doors and build my sections.
100_3028.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Put some liquid truckbed liner on it. Stuff is for the most part water proof. Holds up good to the sun and heat. When you need a new coat after many seasons. You just paint a new layer over the old. (Make sure you get a brand that you can do that) You can even get them in glow in the dark. Think a glowing green hen house WOOT WOOT would that be awesome or what!

Bubba

PS For 40 dollars that is incredible. Thank the lord you dont live in California where hinges cost 2 dollars or more for 1! Your hen house looks sweet, hope it lasts a long time.

Think a glowing green hen house WOOT WOOT would that be awesome or what!

Would'nt that be like turning on the fast food sign that say's EAT HERE. It would give off a ghostly glow and light up the buffet.

Beautiful coop, youve done well, its good to see other women grabbing a hammer and drill, I wish I had an electric saw, I also have several of those little cupboards.
The silkies love them for nesting and brooding.
Well done and show us the roosts when your finished!!!
Im getting ideas for my refurbishment for the silky hilton!

Back
Top Bottom