Fort Worth Stock show 2012

Normally they let us go at 2 pm on Sunday. The awards are usually about 10 or 11.
Everybody is jockeying for position about 1. The signal that we can coop out is when they open the big door, once the door goes up don't get in the way because you will get trampled.
The exhibitors have been cooped up for 2 1/2 days eating Fair food and standing on the hard concrete and are ready to go home. It is a lot like letting your birds out to free range after they have not been let out for a few days.

Talked to Chad this A.M. He said around 200 in the junior show. Bob Chapman will be judging the Jr. show, so that should take a little pressure off of Steve and Conner. I'll be cooping in tomorrow after work. Hour and twenty minute drive for us. Should be a great show. Wish my birds were in better condition. I'm not used to showing this late(early?) in the season. I hear Jimmy Rust is out of "retirement".

Tim

This is my DD's first year doing poultry for 4H (egg layer). She decided to enter the FWSSR for the experience, although she knows she won't win anything with a hatchery stock bird. Does anyone have any advice?

She is bringing a 10 month old Barred Rock that is currently laying. Should we bring a nest box? Feeder/waterer? Having never attended a show before, we have no idea what is provided or required. Am I correct that leg bands are suggested, but not required? HELP!!!

You don't need a feeder,waterer, or nest box. They have show coops set up for all entries. Water/feed cups are usually provided. I always have small plastic dixie cups in my show box just in case. Each coop will have shavings in them. Not sure about the legbands. All my birds have bands and every bird i have seen shown have them. When you get to the show get an exhibitors list, tell the person at the desk it is your first show and you are not sure what to do. They will be more than happy to help you in any way they can and answer any questions you might have. Nothing to be nervous about, you and your daughter will have a wonderful time. I promise.

Tim

Thank you! Legbands are not required. DD got her birdie all set for the night, and is looking forward to living in the livestock barns all day tomorrow.
wink.png

It was fun to see the poultry that was already checked in. AND, my girl is absolutely giggly about the huge Australorpe roo that backs up to her little pullet - he was totally flirting with little Rosemary. hehehe

Glad you got her cooped in. We decided to leave early in the morning. Should be there by 7:30. Looking forward to a great show.

I would love to come up and meet you guys and look and learn about birds. Next year I will be more aware of the timing for this show. Is the Houston Fat Stock show a big poultry show, too?

I don't know if there is a poultry show At Houston or not. I have never heard of one. There is the show at Beaumont March 24th.

We were at the show all day yesterday. Bantam Brahmas, well all featherlegs, will be judged this morning.

Thank you! Legbands are not required. DD got her birdie all set for the night, and is looking forward to living in the livestock barns all day tomorrow.
wink.png

It was fun to see the poultry that was already checked in. AND, my girl is absolutely giggly about the huge Australorpe roo that backs up to her little pullet - he was totally flirting with little Rosemary. hehehe

Well? Did ya'll have a good time? We did.

Back
Top Bottom