forum reorganization

Plus you have to consider, if we separated out into areas/sections/forums for each breed, where would we put things like the Olive Eggers thread? The Sex-Link threads? The Easter Egger thread? The rare breeds thread? The Official Heritage Large Fowl thread?
wink.png

Personally I like it the way it is, although I do agree that it would be nice if we could somehow keep each breed thread up in a place where people won't have to dig too much for it. But, again, that would cause cluttering. I honestly don't mind at all if people post a topic asking where a thread is or if there is one or if there's info out there on something they couldn't find before. Eventually someone (like me) will answer them and help them out.
smile.png
And in the process, we may even be able to revive an old breed thread or slowly "sink" the questioning thread down as the breed threads come back up.

I appreciate the latitude that the owners of this website give to the community to post topics that we think are relevant. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to manage a site of this size. While not perfect, I see far less petty sniping on this site than most. It's nice to go to a place where folks don't constantly participate in the Great Internet Pie Fight.

smile.png
sad.png
big_smile.png
wink.png
hmm.png
tongue.png
lol.png
roll.png
cool.png
lau.gif
gig.gif
hugs.gif
fl.gif
frow.gif
barnie.gif
he.gif
th.gif
droolin.gif
celebrate.gif
ep.gif
bow.gif
love.gif
pop.gif
wee.gif
caf.gif
idunno.gif
old.gif
clap.gif
hit.gif
ya.gif
hu.gif

Quote:
Yes there is. I have smileys turned off, but that doesn't mean the post with just a smiley doesn't show up.

I really didn't mean to get into a debate about smileys, I was just using it as an example of the sort of stuff that contributes to adding to the length of a thread without adding relevant content.

I agree with others that have said that the chit chat is what makes BYC forums BYC forums. It is valuable in building a community; I would not want to get rid of it. I'd just like it to be easier to separate the chit chat from the content.

Quote:
Each would get a section: Alphabeticaly

(Breed name)
(Breed name)
Cornish
Cornish X
Easter Eggers
Dark Egg Layers
(Breed name)
(Breed name)
General Layers (for any birds or question that don't fit somewhere else
Heritage Breeds
(Breed name)
(Breed name)
General Meat Birds (for any birds or question that don't fit somewhere else
Olive Egg Mixes
Sex-Link Chickens
(Breed name)
(Breed name)

Except general meat birds already have their section, and curious, why are Cornish separate from the rest?
wink.png
And Cornish X go also in the meat section.

Plus you have to consider, some people are asking and looking for things. Like, what's a good cold hardy colored egg layer? Or, what's a dual purpose bird with lots of color and a rose comb? Where would questions like these go?
wink.png

Quote:
The subforum that has the breeds in other forums could have general questions there.

-Breeds Genetics and Showing-
--Specific Breeds and Types--
```(Breed name)
```(Breed name)
```Easter Eggers
```Dark Egg Layers
```(Breed name)
```(Breed name)
```Heritage Breeds
```(Breed name)
```(Breed name)
```Olive Egg Mixes
```Sex-Link Chickens
```(Breed name)
```(Breed name

--General Questions--
Ex:topic- What are good year round layers

Edit for homophone use.

Last edited:
The subforum that has the breeds in other forums could have general questions there.
```(Breed name)
```(Breed name)
```Easter Eggers
```Dark Egg Layers
```(Breed name)
```(Breed name)
```Heritage Breeds
```(Breed name)
```(Breed name)
```Olive Egg Mixes
```Sex-Link Chickens
```(Breed name)
```(Breed name

--General Questions--

Edit for homophone use.

Ahhhh... that sounds great! So organized! So usable! The Marans thread is 977 pages long at this moment. Lots of people have said many important and informative things on it, Bev has posted in it... but good luck weeding through it. And pity the poor person new to the breed when confronted with 977 pages of thread to begin reading. Not to mention then going back to the old zillion page Marans threads and starting on those, too.

At the top of each breed subforum could be stickied a copy of the standard, if there is a written standard for that breed. Each breed subforum could also sticky things that are specific to the breed that you couldn't sticky in the the general breed forum. If for example there was a really good piece of information on breeding silkies, and only silkies, you wouldn't likely sticky it in the General Breeds Genetics and Showing forum, but you could sticky it in the silky subforum.​

Quote:

```(Breed name)
```(Breed name)
```Easter Eggers
```Dark Egg Layers
```(Breed name)
```(Breed name)
```Heritage Breeds
```(Breed name)
```(Breed name)
```Olive Egg Mixes
```Sex-Link Chickens
```(Breed name)
```(Breed name

--General Questions--

Edit for homophone use.

Do you mean kind of how it already is here in this sticky but with these hybrid type threads added ? https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=269287

If
so, how is that going to help weed out the irrelevance in some of the threads ?

Back
Top Bottom