Found a baby pigeon - HELP!

I am still really worried about the little one. His crop is moving so slowly again. It hasn't emptied for 24 hours now. I've given him crushed sunflower and peanut seeds mixed with water and egg yolk, it was really smooth and runny, no lumpy bits at all and that's all still sat in his crop. There are a few peas in there too that haven't moved got about 12 hours. He's begging for food but everything I offer him he turns away from.
This is a picture of his crop at the moment.

His little legs are really really skinny and boney, I feel like he's definitely not getting enough food into him but his crop just won't empty!!!! He's drinking lots of water and his poops are really runny and a light beige colour.
I've called 3 wildlife rescue centres today and not a single one will answer the phone, I've left messages and sent emails! I feel like he really needs someone who know what they are doing to get him back on track!!

at that age you should be able to feed seeds peanuts are fed as treats like candy don't feed young peanuts if you can feed them chicken laying pellets a pigeon that is full still will beg and act hungry water by dipping its beak in a small container that allows it to stick its beak in to drink like a horse if not digesting place bird in a cone where crop is high and feed can drain into to be digested

Keep him warmer.

Make up a mix of stewed apples and feed him that.

If the crop empties after that feed him mix a warm paste of chicken starter crumbs and some stewed apple.

Keep feeding the apple and chicken food mix until his crop empties normally for a few days.

Then you can stop adding the apple.

As I said before you should not keep filling him up with water.

From you photo his crop looks nearly empty.

A full crop is like a huge heavy balloon in front of them... like a big water balloon.

Keep him warmer.

Make up a mix of stewed apples and feed him that.  

If the crop empties after that feed him mix a warm paste of chicken starter crumbs and some stewed apple.

Keep feeding the apple and chicken food mix until his crop empties normally for a few days.

Then you can stop adding the apple.

As I said before you should not keep filling him up with water. 

From you photo his crop looks nearly empty.

A full crop is like a huge heavy balloon in front of them... like a big water balloon. 

What about infant applesauce? That might be easier to get.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom