Found a baby pigeon, please help.

Well I saw in a video if you just gently hold the lower beak the bird should open it's mouth on its own..he didnt. At first I nudged the oat into the side of his mouth until it slipped in but he'd always toss it away. Then I began to try holding the sides of his mouth (not covering the nostrils) to get him to open and insert a small portion of food. He still tosses the oat bit away or worms his way out so each time I feed him I only get.. maybe 2 whole oats mixed with chia seed in? Its very ineffective for him and me and I was hoping he might take to another way? Again he never opens his mouth (and from what I've seen it is pink/red, no yellow) not even when he peeps.

Well I saw in a video if you just gently hold the lower beak the bird should open it's mouth on its own..he didnt. At first I nudged the oat into the side of his mouth until it slipped in but he'd always toss it away. Then I began to try holding the sides of his mouth (not covering the nostrils) to get him to open and insert a small portion of food. He still tosses the oat bit away or worms his way out so each time I feed him I only get.. maybe 2 whole oats mixed with chia seed in? Its very ineffective for him and me and I was hoping he might take to another way? Again he never opens his mouth (and from what I've seen it is pink/red, no yellow) not even when he peeps.
It doesn't sound like he is getting enough that way. I held my bird on my lap and put my left palm behind his head reaching around front with my fingers to open his beak. With the other hand I grab the pea and put it in the back of his mouth and close the beak - he will swallow. Do this repeatedly til he takes about 30 peas or his crop is full. With practice you can give 2 peas at a time, or even 3.
It could work better for you to have someone hold the bird and you use two hands to feed him.

edit to add - be firm but gentle, he will squirm at first. Don't worry too much about covering the nostrils, I dont think you will suffocate him.:D

Great news! He had just begun pecking the oats himself..I stopped the pinch beak as he seems to graze as he pleases. So far he seems to be trusting me a lot more, he's starting pecking food out of my fingers and even follows to pieces when I point at them! He still is drinking and is very energetic..he knocked over the towel over his tub and I found him perched on the lip of the tub. I am not too sure if it is normal since he's molting into adult feathers but he had begun itching(?) at his wings, tail, and back/neck. Also he's beginning to make a bit of a mess on himself. Should I give him a bird bath? If so do I dry him off afterwards or just let him sort that out?

Yes that is good news! Sounds like he is bonding with you. At that age they are at their most trusting and friendly. Normal for him to do a lot of preening as adult feathers come in encased in shafts that flake off as feathers unfold.

I haven't seen birds that young take a bath or need one. What sort of 'mess' are you seeing?

If you don't have grit find him some clean dirt with tiny stones in it...

Alright I'll find some dirt. By messy I mean that I checked his tail feathers and found some feces clinging onto the feathers near his rectum. Will he clean this off himself or does he actually need a bath?
Also I'm not too sure how to check his crop but he seems full most of the time? I don't know how that's really possibly unless he is actually pecking at the oats I left in his tub (which I doubt). But he is excreting still, and a normal amount I believe.

Back
Top Bottom