Found a basically dead chick this morning

tharrell

Songster
11 Years
Jul 28, 2008
Colorado Springs
My broody hatched out 2 chicks yesterday, and when I went to check on them this morning she was out in the run with them, and there was one cold dead wet chick in the nest box. I was going to dispose of the body and it seemed to fall backward a little. I put my finger over its eye and it blinked extremely slowly. It was however not breathing. I took it inside and gave it some warm pedialite mixed with sugar, and put it into my little Brinsea bator to warm it up. It started to take one or two labored breaths every minute or so, and now an hour or so later it is breathing well, but still not standing. It is starting to fluff up though and it's body is much warmer to the touch. I have the temp set at 95. Is there anything else sopmeone would recommend or anything else that might improve this little ones chances? Also if I do get it to come around can it be given back to mom? Thanks!

I'd try putting it back tonight after dark if it starts walking well -- hopefully also eating and drinking. Or, I'd try it. The sooner the better, to increase the chance she will accept it. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
He seems to be doing really well now and he is up eating and drinking. He is a little wobbly still. Hopefully she will take him tonight.

Great news! Sounds good. Hopefully, wobbly is normal at this stage, as it is so young, and was chilled. Here's hoping she will accept it.

Back
Top Bottom