Found a Canada goose egg in the grass buried in 6 inches of snow overnight, viable?

vande424

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 3, 2014
Hi,

I just found a Canada goose egg in the grass that was buried in the snow overnight. My friend spotted it yesterday afternoon and said he didn't see it in the morning, so I believe it is only a day old. Overnight it snowed about 6 inches, it was relatively warm for the storm, the low temperature this morning was probably around 31-32 F and that would have been in the morning after there was snow covering it to insulate it, so I think there's a good chance it didn't freeze. Does anybody know the chances of it still being viable if it didn't freeze or even if it did? And how long do I have to get it in an incubator if I decide to do that?

Thanks!
Todd

I'd try to incubate it. Grant, it the odds are not good because its been in the cold too long. But snow can be a great insulator and you have really no idea how long it's been out of the nest.

Did you check the area to see if there were any nests nearby? My guess is the egg belongs to a nesting mother in the area and her nest was raided the night before by a predator that took the egg. That predator then dropped the egg because it was frightened and had to leave in a hurry.

If you have the time, scout the area to find the mother. Make sure she is unharmed by the predator; she may be injured. Contact a local wildlife rehabilitator if she does need any medical help. Then ask the rehabber about the legal ramifications of possessing a Canada Goose...at least with the intention of raising and then setting into the wild. They are federally protected birds and are governed by law and I'd hate to see your good intentions get you in trouble.

It may hatch. I've seen miracles like this happen.

Back
Top Bottom